Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering getting a VibraTechniks Mount.

I am a bit concerned about the strain it puts on the other engine mounts caused by having one so ridged mounted on the gear box.

All advice welcome.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Im suprised that you havent got one already! I have had mine delivered today from Ads. Looks an excellent, well made bit of kit. Cant help on the other points but there is plenty of bedtime reading on here and from what I've read all is good. I partly waited before buying one to see what others made of it.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
tony adam did alot of research with vibra technics into this mount and found that the other mounts were race stand apart from this one with less backwards forwards movement theres less stress on all other component parts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(weSTie @ 16 Feb 2010, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>tony adam did alot of research with vibra technics into this mount and found that the other mounts were race stand apart from this one with less backwards forwards movement theres less stress on all other component parts

Cheers fella

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I cant tell you about the additional strain on other components as i have only put the mount on a couple of weeks ago(its been lying in the back of my car for months) but there is a noticeable vibration at idle and up to about 2500rpm.

Some people say that slackening the bolts and re tightening them improves the vibration, i have done this half a dozen times and it doesnt seem to improve, it was quite annoying to start with, am now use to it though so dont really notice it.

HTH

Dave.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
QUOTE(goonturbo @ 16 Feb 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I cant tell you about the additional strain on other components as i have only put the mount on a couple of weeks ago(its been lying in the back of my car for months) but there is a noticeable vibration at idle and up to about 2500rpm.

Some people say that slackening the bolts and re tightening them improves the vibration, i have done this half a dozen times and it doesnt seem to improve, it was quite annoying to start with, am now use to it though so dont really notice it.

HTH

Dave.

the vibration at idle on mine has gradually got less over the 3 months or so its been on, love it couldnt imagine not having it fitted now

·
Registered
117 Posts
Fitted mine 2days ago, got it off eBay and the difference is amazing!! I was getting clunks when dropping into 2nd for roundabouts (if anyone from Newport/cwmbran area u no how many of those there are) and when accelerating away again onto the roundabouts! All have now ceased, it doesn't lunge any more under hard acceleration between gear changes either which are also now very smooth. The vibration is a good kind (if that makes sense) and not annoying at all! Couldn't recommend a mod more especially @ 66 quid cannot be faulted

·
Super Moderator
2017 Audi S3 Sportsback
8,082 Posts
Had mine fitted for 6 months now with no ill side effects yet . The increase in vibration does decrease after a couple of weeks . A good mod on a standard car and a great mod on one that making big power and torque

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
As has been said a lot of research went into these mounts, we did a lot of sheer,tension and torque test on all the standard mounts, the only one that wasnt ideal to improve on was the upper gearbox mount. The main engine mount was considered not to be worth doing because of the extra sheer stress it would put on the chassis. The torque mounts have always proven to be the most effective change on 90% of cars. These mounts are 60% stiffer than the standard mount and this shows in the increase of vibration through the car.

IF you have any more queries mate feel free to call me the number is on my website.

Ads.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Vibra-Technics are in the process of making me a custom one which is going to be approx 15% less stiff than the current one. Hopefully it will be a nice middle ground.
Will let you know when it arrives.

·
Registered
659 Posts
QUOTE(chrisd @ 17 Feb 2010, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Vibra-Technics are in the process of making me a custom one which is going to be approx 15% less stiff than the current one. Hopefully it will be a nice middle ground.
Will let you know when it arrives.

this was brought up a few weeks ago and dismissed as
?????

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
QUOTE(np247921 @ 17 Feb 2010, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>this was brought up a few weeks ago and dismissed as
?????

he says they are making him one so it must be right, the speculation last time was would they release a widely available softer version to which the answer was no, i,ll stick with what i have as at my age i need all the stiffness i can get

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Over the past 2 weeks, the vibration has more or less dissapeared and it doesn't sound as boomy in the cabin. Brilliant bit of kit!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts