Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My cars bodywork is finished, now I am trying to get my head around the noise coming from my gearbox.

When I start the car up it make a huge rattle and sqeeking noise but when I put my foot on the clutch it goes away. I have changed the oil etc but it is still quite a bad rattle. It makes the car sound like a diesal tractor!!!

- There is only a tiny little vibration on the clutch pedal
- There is no rattle when the car is driving
- Gear go in smoothly
- Clutch is almost new with only 14,000 on the clock.

I have a new / used gearbox to stick on there but was wondering what people thoughts are?

I dont have a warrenty as the car is registered as a cat d

Please help

shane

·
Registered
611 Posts
It sounds like a clutch release bearing issue. They can make an awful noise when there is no pedal pressure on a worn one. They can also quieten down when the pedal is pressed.

Failing that, it could be a gearbox first motion shaft bearing.

I would start by looking at the clutch release bearing first though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys,

Another point, when I take my foot off of the clutch slowly it wont make too much of the noise. But, it i take my foot off at normal gear changing speed it makes a bigger rattle...

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
Difficult to positively verify the cause without removing the gearbox.
The obvious non disruptive thing that you could try is replacing the gearbox oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Difficult to positively verify the cause without removing the gearbox.
The obvious non disruptive thing that you could try is replacing the gearbox oil.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I changed the box oil today with no change in noise whatsoever...

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have the same thing with my car just now. My clutch is normally has a rattle to it as I have a solid flywheel but it is a lot noiser than normal just now. The last time I had this it was the clutch slave cylinder / release bearing had failed shortly after. Mine was only fitted 10 months ago so I think I need to find a stronger one as they don't seem to last any longer than a year, pain in the backside dropping the gearbox out on a yearly basis

·
Registered
75 Posts
this might be a long shot but go and check the hub bolts are tight on the front i had a rattling noise similar. pop off the centre cap of the alloy and you'll notice straight away because it will be finger loose if so get some loctite on the bolt tighten leave for 20 mins. hopefully an easy fix.

·
Registered
513 Posts
sounds like a the release bearing,put your foot on the clutch and slightley press it not all the way,if it goes away then its the release bearing, if it only goes away when the clutch is pressed all the way down its the box bearings

1 - 11 of 11 Posts