Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Alan St500
3,065 Posts
According to my desk calendar on this day in 1908 Henry Ford's first Model T automobile left his Piquette Plant in Detroit Michigan.

You can all sleep better in your beds tonight now!!

:ROFLMAO:

View attachment 908798

2.9 litre, 4 cylinder boasting a whole 20hp with a top speed of 40-45 mph if you were brave enough!
I think 20bhp seems a tad low for a 2.9 , have they actually dyno’d one 🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Given how basic the engine was 20hp was good in the day! It could also run on many other types of fuel - not just petrol - and supposedly moonshine! However the mpg of some 15 to 20 mpg hasn't improved much to today!
However if you think about it the XR4x4's 2.9 only produced 150bhp out of the box so it hadn't got much better either!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The best part of them though was that you had to reverse up hills as the reverse gear was stronger than the forward gears plus with the fuel being gravity fed & not pumped into the engine if you went up a hill forwards the engine would cut out through no fuel!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
How do they get so little horsepower from a mahussive engine 🙈
Those early engines could only run low compression due to excessive engine knock (uncontrolled detonation). This is why lead was added to petrol, to better control the fuel ignition process, so higher compression could be used to create more power. The lead also hardened the valve seats and halted premature wear which was also a problem.

A wonder cure. Except one thing. Lead is rather poisonous and remains in your body for a long time. Hence alternatives such as harder materials and better fuel burn control have now seen lead removed from petrol.

The man who discovered this was named Thomas Midgley. Read about him here and his other great invention that has since suffered a similar fate: Thomas Midgley Jr. - Wikipedia

Thomas Midgley is now seen as a villain, but for many years his two invention revolutionsed the way we lived. History only judges you on the final act.

Sorry. I have digressed away from being pointless.

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, CP320
1,737 Posts
Those early engines could only run low compression due to excessive engine knock (uncontrolled detonation). This is why lead was added to petrol, to better control the fuel ignition process, so higher compression could be used to create more power. The lead also hardened the valve seats and halted premature wear which was also a problem.

A wonder cure. Except one thing. Lead is rather poisonous and remains in your body for a long time. Hence alternatives such as harder materials and better fuel burn control have now seen lead removed from petrol.

The man who discovered this was named Thomas Midgley. Read about him here and his other great invention that has since suffered a similar fate: Thomas Midgley Jr. - Wikipedia

Thomas Midgley is now seen as a villain, but for many years his two invention revolutionsed the way we lived. History only judges you on the final act.

Sorry. I have digressed away from being pointless.
Quite interesting pointless though, and more informative than many things of late (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Next bit of useless info then, according to my calendar, on the same topic though is that by this day in history, in 1915, Ford had manufactured their millionth automobile in Detroit. So it only took them 7 years to get to a million! Wonder how long it took them to get to their next million?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts