Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good garage in south london, or Surrey/Kent area?

I believe my head gasket has blown (hoping it’s not a liner 😩)

Few weeks ago I noticed a small amount of smoke from the exhaust, and on start up was running like on 4 cylinders for 15-20 seconds.. and last weekend I noticed the coolant level had dropped… worst nightmare! I topped it back up..
I don’t use it that often, only every few weeks or longer, I started it this weekend and had masses of smoke, took ages to clear, until I guess a cylinder had cleared it out. Coolant has dropped again, I’m totally gutted now..
I need to find a good mechanic who knows these engines, as it’s had a few mods.

Any recommendations are very appreciated

·
Premium Member
Mk3 ST305
137 Posts
Unable to recommend anyone in Surrey/Kent. However, if you can make it to Essex, FJRS are tops for performance Fords (Fred & Johnny will take care of matters professionally, I've used them many times).

FJRS
Prospect House, Prospect Way,
Hutton, Essex, CM13 1XA
Tel: 01271 320510

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you mate, I will look them up now!
Do you think it is ok to drive it there in its current condition? 😬

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I thought you’d say something along this line! 😩😩 Trailered is the sensible option then..

I presume that if a liner is cracked, the blocks going in the scrap pile?

Im fairly new to the St World and Duratec engines, I’ve had mine just over a year, purchased it with mods already done, and have loved every minute until now 🙁

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,621 Posts
In theory I think you can have the liner bored out and replaced- I think it was quoted for about £300... Although there's all the engine out and transport costs on top. Plus you'll probably want to get each liner uprated if you're going to do that so you definitely don't need to do it again in future.

If you're going to consider that, you might be better off just getting a linered block already and I think you need to send yours back in exchange. This is about the most expensive option.

But if the liner has had it most people seem to look into a replacement engine instead and get that block modded which may or may not prevent it happening again.

It's about the only thing I don't like about these cars.

·
Premium Member
Mk3 ST305
137 Posts
A cursory look on eBay indicates the following:

hAlh9eRD0_vDvh3upDog_VzNNTtRQSDBobJh10K0aApBbEALw_wcB

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,621 Posts
You would want question any of those regarding extra charge for split liner as you must give them a serviceable engine 🤔

They're options but get her to a garage and get a verdict first although it's not sounding great. If you get to some one who knows the st they might have good options for you as well.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Hi, I use Morley Autos in Redhill for the big jobs. I believe that this will be a big job.
Best to call them & discuss.
01737 761076
Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In theory I think you can have the liner bored out and replaced- I think it was quoted for about £300... Although there's all the engine out and transport costs on top. Plus you'll probably want to get each liner uprated if you're going to do that so you definitely don't need to do it again in future.

If you're going to consider that, you might be better off just getting a linered block already and I think you need to send yours back in exchange. This is about the most expensive option.

But if the liner has had it most people seem to look into a replacement engine instead and get that block modded which may or may not prevent it happening again.

It's about the only thing I don't like about these cars.
Thank you for your help and replies, I didn’t know you could get the cylinders bored out, I’ve looked up replacement engines briefly, and yes I’ve noticed they are on an exchange basis 🙈

I will get her to a garage very soon and post the diagnosis 😩

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A cursory look on eBay indicates the following:

hAlh9eRD0_vDvh3upDog_VzNNTtRQSDBobJh10K0aApBbEALw_wcB

Thank you for the links, I did see that bottom one yesterday on eBay, looks like an ok deal, especially if it’s including fitting and the block mod..
I had I’m mind this is gonna be a 2k job by the time you add up everything, the block mod alone isn’t that cheap anyway 🙄 that place isn’t too far from me either.
Will let ya know the results

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, I use Morley Autos in Redhill for the big jobs. I believe that this will be a big job.
Best to call them & discuss.
01737 761076
Good luck.
Thank you mate for the recommendation 👍
Redhill is very close to me, about 30 mins away, so will call them first tomorrow 🙏🏻

1 - 13 of 13 Posts