Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Formerly known as wabbit1
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

need someone who's mechanically minded to help me sort my Fianceés StreetKa.

The car is a completely standard 53 plate and has covered 35000 careful miles in it's life.

The problem started today when she was driving it home from work. Stopped at a set of lights feet on the brake and clutch the engine, rather than idling smoothly moved from 900 - 1200 rpm in a pulsating rhythm, up down, up down. It stopped when she pumped the brake pedal but soon started at the next stop

When driving after this the engine felt like was stuttering a bit, nothing major but you can definately feel it.

If anyone who's in the know about things like this I would appreciate and advice or suggestions.

Many thanks guys

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE(wabbit1 @ 20 Jan 2010, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all,

need someone who's mechanically minded to help me sort my Fianceés StreetKa.

The car is a completely standard 53 plate and has covered 35000 careful miles in it's life.

The problem started today when she was driving it home from work. Stopped at a set of lights feet on the brake and clutch the engine, rather than idling smoothly moved from 900 - 1200 rpm in a pulsating rhythm, up down, up down. It stopped when she pumped the brake pedal but soon started at the next stop

When driving after this the engine felt like was stuttering a bit, nothing major but you can definately feel it.

If anyone who's in the know about things like this I would appreciate and advice or suggestions.

Many thanks guys
1 female owner and 35000 miles hmmm check the air filter as it may be gasping for breath

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Am taking it that its the 1.3 8v OHV engine thats in it?
If it is, try a blocked breather, or a burst vacuum hose.
Other than that, check for the last service, could possibly be a blocked air or fuel filter (but i doubt it) if all that fails then you will be looking for component failure, if thats the case than get it code read, looking for current and intemittent fault codes.
Hope this helps mate.

·
Formerly known as wabbit1
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(goonturbo @ 20 Jan 2010, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Am taking it that its the 1.3 8v OHV engine thats in it?
If it is, try a blocked breather, or a burst vacuum hose.
Other than that, check for the last service, could possibly be a blocked air or fuel filter (but i doubt it) if all that fails then you will be looking for component failure, if thats the case than get it code read, looking for current and intemittent fault codes.
Hope this helps mate.

It's got the 1.6 8v DuraTEC engine in it.

I'll give the breather and vacuum pipes a check tomorrow in day light and see how that goes.

If not I'll get a local garage to check any error code

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,193 Posts
If she had her foot on the brake and there is a leak in the brake servo pipework, or the non-return valve it might have let air leak into the inlet manifold and cause the uneven idling. It could also affect the car when driving on a light throttle.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sticking ISCV(Idle speed control valve). From what I remember the are a pain to get to on the ROCAM engine. 2x 8mm Bolts hold it on to the inlet manifold. Could just need a clean out with Brake cleaner or similar.
Dont take this a gospel. Been 6 years since worked at a Ford garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts