Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

ive got a standard 56reg ST-3 and after giving it a quick blast up the bypass last weekend I noticed that the boost gauge was showing just under half boost (usually shows just above half) at full throttle (above 4k). Could this be due to the dense cold air meaning the ecu allows less boost? - it was about -1 degrees at the time! I didnt notice any real drop in power or different behaviour.

Cheers,

Gray

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(whiteheadgraeme @ 7 Jan 2010, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Guys,

ive got a standard 56reg ST-3 and after giving it a quick blast up the bypass last weekend I noticed that the boost gauge was showing just under half boost (usually shows just above half) at full throttle (above 4k). Could this be due to the dense cold air meaning the ecu allows less boost? - it was about -1 degrees at the time! I didnt notice any real drop in power or different behaviour.

Cheers,

Gray

The cold weather will suit a turbo charged engine? The Ecu will only cut power when temps are too high. A standard car won't boost much more then half way on the gauge.

If the car feels fine to drive i wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 7 Jan 2010, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The cold weather will suit a turbo charged engine? The Ecu will only cut power when temps are too high. A standard car won't boost much more then half way on the gauge.

If the car feels fine to drive i wouldn't worry.

Ah right. Its under warranty so thinking a trip to ford might be worthwhile. When i first bought it, it was boosting a bit high so ford "recalibrated" it and its been spot on since. Just noticed the gauge was showing a bit less than usual. I was reading the Dreamscience article in Fast Ford a couple of months ago about the ECU working towards a torque figure so i thought with the cold air being more dense and creating more power, the ECU was backing off a bit to compensate and lower the figures back to normal (ish).

Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(whiteheadgraeme @ 7 Jan 2010, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah right. Its under warranty so thinking a trip to ford might be worthwhile. When i first bought it, it was boosting a bit high so ford "recalibrated" it and its been spot on since. Just noticed the gauge was showing a bit less than usual. I was reading the Dreamscience article in Fast Ford a couple of months ago about the ECU working towards a torque figure so i thought with the cold air being more dense and creating more power, the ECU was backing off a bit to compensate and lower the figures back to normal (ish).

It may even just be the ESP backing of power due to the road conditions?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(whiteheadgraeme @ 7 Jan 2010, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah right. Its under warranty so thinking a trip to ford might be worthwhile. When i first bought it, it was boosting a bit high so ford "recalibrated" it and its been spot on since. Just noticed the gauge was showing a bit less than usual. I was reading the Dreamscience article in Fast Ford a couple of months ago about the ECU working towards a torque figure so i thought with the cold air being more dense and creating more power, the ECU was backing off a bit to compensate and lower the figures back to normal (ish).

For anyone thats interested, tried it today (air temp +4 Degrees) and it was spot on back to normal. I presume it must have been lower due to the lower air temps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.