Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Formerly known as wabbit1
2,791 Posts
Hi all,

have bought a bottle of Ultimate Snow Foam from The Ultimate Finish I don't have a pressure washer (Dont' like them IMO) and apply the foam with a Karcher snow foam lance and Hozelok adapter which works quite well.

When filling the bottle on the Karcher lance how should I dilute it? 50/50 with water, or should I be putting in some car shampoo as well?

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
459 Posts
what i find works well is about 1inch from the bottom filled with snow foam, and half inch of shampoo gives a nice foamy covering and lets the soap get all in the nocks and crannys to shift dirt

·
Registered
675 Posts
Its hard to give an answer as the dilution usually depends on the flow rate of your pressure washer. Each washer flows a certain amount of water and you need to dilute the snow foam correctly to get the proper thick foam. You will just have to try different combinations and see which works best. You wont get the same outcome with the Karcher as you would with a Gilmour etc. As previously suggested, I combine the snow foam with around the same amount of shampoo (megs gold class works well together with snow foam), then top it up with hot water.

Try slowing the flow of water down by closing your tap a little to try and find a nice flow of foam, too much flow will make it too watery.
sounds a bit obvious now I read that back

·
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(chrisd @ 12 Jan 2010, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its hard to give an answer as the dilution usually depends on the flow rate of your pressure washer. Each washer flows a certain amount of water and you need to dilute the snow foam correctly to get the proper thick foam. You will just have to try different combinations and see which works best. You wont get the same outcome with the Karcher as you would with a Gilmour etc. As previously suggested, I combine the snow foam with around the same amount of shampoo (megs gold class works well together with snow foam), then top it up with hot water.

Try slowing the flow of water down by closing your tap a little to try and find a nice flow of foam, too much flow will make it too watery.
sounds a bit obvious now I read that back

Hey Chris, thanks for your endless knowledge on detailing and cleaning

I just use a standard hose pipe for applying the snow foam. I tried it again today and it seemed ok, but I'll add some of my Meguires GC next time and see what difference it makes.

And another daft question lol, after snow foaming the car and rinsing it, is it best practice to use a Meguires synthetic wash mitt and GC?

And finally
what is the difference with varying hardnesses of clay ie: mild, soft, hard and do these need different prep and finishing work when using them?

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey

sorry to hijack your thread but was wondering where abouts you bought your lance and lock for your hose

My lock up has a tap but no power and fancy using this snow foam stuff

thanks

Steven

·
Registered
323 Posts
QUOTE(steviek @ 12 Jan 2010, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey

sorry to hijack your thread but was wondering where abouts you bought your lance and lock for your hose

thanks

Steven

I buy my products from Polished Bliss - delivery is usually 1-2 days and they have some great offers, i bought a DA polisher, plenty of pads, Merentz(sp) cutting polish, megs detailing brush, for less than £100 in their last sale

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pr...oam-lances.html

·
2,791 Posts
QUOTE(steviek @ 12 Jan 2010, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey

thanks

Steven

Hi Steven,

I bought both the Karcher Hose Pipe Adapter and Karcher Snow Foam lance from Halfords, cat numbers listed below if you wanna have a look online

Karcher Hose Pipe Adaptor Cat code: 909754-0 £10
Karcher Foam Lance Cat code: 767749-0 £17

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE(wabbit1 @ 12 Jan 2010, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And finally
what is the difference with varying hardnesses of clay ie: mild, soft, hard and do these need different prep and finishing work when using them?

Softer clays will remove lighter defects (mild tar, tree sap, previous waxes etc), moving up to harder clays, they become more abrasive enabling them to remove bigger defects (bird etching, acid rain etc, and even heavier swirl marks / orange peel). Generally, you will get away with just waxing after using soft clay, but you will usually have to follow the harder clay up with a machine polish as this clay will essentially flatten the paint back, much like wet sanding although not as harsh.

Claying can be hard work, and having to follow it up with a polish can be a pain. An alternative would be a good quality paint cleanser. There are loads on the market, but I would say Zymol HD Cleanse is about the best I have tried. Other options which are all highly rated would be:

Dodo Juice Lime Prime
Zaino Z-AIO
Megs' Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
R222 Paintwork Cleanser

·
Registered
577 Posts
Why mix snow foam with regular car shampoo? Doesn't that reduce the effectiveness of the snow foam?

I usually mix 1-2 inches snow foam with water. Once thats off, give the car a regular wash with shampoo.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I always thought you just filled it with 2/3 inch of snow foam and the rest of the bottle with water?

Do you need to add a shampoo and water and is there a need to fill the bottle full?

Ta

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yep, you do need to make the rest of the bottle with water. Snow foam is incredibly concentrated (get some on your hands and you'll see what I mean) and works best when it has been diluted.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You don't need to add shampoo to the snow foam - but you may find it lifts the dirt easier and given the right mixture, it can also improve the snow effect

1 - 14 of 14 Posts