Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

new member, I've had my Stealth Grey ST-3 diesel for about 6 weeks now and decided it was time to make my first post!

A quick question, which I'm sure has been covered many times before....

Does anyone have any recommendations on which tyres and PSI settings are the best for the ST? (don't know whether it being a diesel makes a difference over the petrol... more torque perhaps?). This is for 18 inch wheels.

I know this is a very subjective thing and everyone views ride quality etc. differently, however, when I test drove an ST-3 at the dealer the ride was pretty smooth, a few bumps here and there but nothing that wouldn't be expected from a harder, sportier chassis on the ST. Having had brand new Focus ST line ecoboost the previous week to the test drive as a hire car I couldn't really tell any difference.

So I ordered my ST (65 reg, so not brand new) the ride was considerably harder, bumpier, and seems to struggle holding the road when cornering hard (in the dry) almost like the tyres are fighting against the road. This seems less when I switch the traction control off.

The tyres on the car are fairly new GT Radial Sports, which I've never heard of buy guessing they are cheaper Indian/Malaysian brand?

So the question is, is the ride quality grip etc. difference I'm getting purely down to the tyre choice and possibly PSI (running 35 PSI all round currently) or is there something else amiss?

What tyres and PSI do folks generally recommend for a sporty, but comfortable ride? Any favourites?

I'm used to fairly harsh rides having driven lots of GTi's and Quattros in my time, but this ST just feels downright uncomfortable to drive, so much so that I'm wondering if I made the right choice in buying it.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Wayne

Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
:welcome: Wayne.

It's likely the tyre, the standard 18" wheels come with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres. However it sounds like it would be worth you getting full membership so you can see other opinions on this in the technical sections :)

Registered
Hi All,

new member, I've had my Stealth Grey ST-3 diesel for about 6 weeks now and decided it was time to make my first post!

A quick question, which I'm sure has been covered many times before....

Does anyone have any recommendations on which tyres and PSI settings are the best for the ST? (don't know whether it being a diesel makes a difference over the petrol... more torque perhaps?). This is for 18 inch wheels.

I know this is a very subjective thing and everyone views ride quality etc. differently, however, when I test drove an ST-3 at the dealer the ride was pretty smooth, a few bumps here and there but nothing that wouldn't be expected from a harder, sportier chassis on the ST. Having had brand new Focus ST line ecoboost the previous week to the test drive as a hire car I couldn't really tell any difference.

So I ordered my ST (65 reg, so not brand new) the ride was considerably harder, bumpier, and seems to struggle holding the road when cornering hard (in the dry) almost like the tyres are fighting against the road. This seems less when I switch the traction control off.

The tyres on the car are fairly new GT Radial Sports, which I've never heard of buy guessing they are cheaper Indian/Malaysian brand?

So the question is, is the ride quality grip etc. difference I'm getting purely down to the tyre choice and possibly PSI (running 35 PSI all round currently) or is there something else amiss?

What tyres and PSI do folks generally recommend for a sporty, but comfortable ride? Any favourites?

I'm used to fairly harsh rides having driven lots of GTi's and Quattros in my time, but this ST just feels downright uncomfortable to drive, so much so that I'm wondering if I made the right choice in buying it.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Wayne
I run 33 psi all around on my ST however I have the 19inch wheels. Its a huge difference from 41 in the front and 38 in the rear according to the sticker inside the door xD Would be like riding a skateboard haha :D

Registered
I have barums all round. Always loved them. Associated with continental so brand value and rep is good with me. I have st2 diesel 2015 18"s. I run 35psi all round. Obviously checking door when carrying a load. Ride is pretty stiff. Took a while to get used to but I never worry about grip car seems to pull itself round bends when asked.
Wouldn't have the ride any other way.
I have barums all round. Always loved them. Associated with continental so brand value and rep is good with me. I have st2 diesel 2015 18"s. I run 35psi all round. Obviously checking door when carrying a load. Ride is pretty stiff. Took a while to get used to but I never worry about grip car seems to pull itself round bends when asked.
Wouldn't have the ride any other way.

Registered
Manufactures pressure recommendations tend to be beast to reducing co2 rather than handling these days hence seeing recommendations of 40 or higher is not unusual, low to mid 30's is where you will want to be.

Noting you are running no 35psi, it is likely due to your rubber, ditch the ditch finders and get something decent

Registered
I run on Pilot Sport 4s.

Before that I ran AD08Rs.

Before that I ran Pilot Super Sports.

The PS4 is the first tyre I've had which transmits 2nd gear to the ground in most situations, is relatively quiet and have somehow managed to last 10 months. I'd fully recommend it.

Registered
I run on Pilot Sport 4s.
Before that I ran AD08Rs.
Before that I ran Pilot Super Sports.
The PS4 is the first tyre I've had which transmits 2nd gear to the ground in most situations, is relatively quiet and have somehow managed to last 10 months. I'd fully recommend it.
How ere the AD08R on the ST, they are great n the Elise I specially on track, but not sure about how they would be with the heavy ST (our lasses has PS4's)

Registered
Then you are likely running too much pressure if you are after he dling/performance driving, out of interest what are they recommending 38+ lol
They are recommending 41 front & 38 rear for normal driving and 49 front and rear for full load, both on the door pillar sticker and in the handbook for 19inch wheels.

This is my 4th ST and i don't remember the others being that high. Think i will let them down to 35 all round and try that.

Registered
I've got the 19's and after enjoying the PS3's that it had from factory I've gone "mid-spec" tyres for cost saving....Hankook Ventus v12 evo2. I have to say, given they were ~拢120 per tyre as opposed to ~拢175 for PS3's I have been really impressed with them.

Not as good as the PS3's but they aren't far off! For a saving of over 拢200 for a full set I'll definitely get them again!

Black Circles prices are currently: 拢127/tyre for Hankook and 拢180 for Michelin PS3's. Again these are the 19's not the 18's.

Registered
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
The Hans will wear much quicker unfortunately, pros and cons
And certainly won't grip as well as the Michelins. I picked my RS up in Mar and between Christmas and New Year put a brand new set of Michelins on as I think they are superb...can't skimp and save with a performance car especially one that's as twitchy as the ST !!

Registered
19"s for me and despite initially been reluctant to run the recommended F 41psi R 38psi pressures I now use them and have noticed no difference to using mid 30psi all round.

I know it will affect handling but ride quality is the same, I'm was hoping that these higher pressures would mean better fuel economy and tyre wear given that mine is a daily hack on straight dual carriageways but no idea if its making a difference.

Registered
18" PS4's i fitted in July, best tyre i have ever fitted to a car. Recommend 32-33psi (they add about 2psi when warmed up which matches the 35psi recommended).

Been through a couple of pairs of GY AS2's, and wanted a changes and the rears were down to under 4mm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.