Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the ST 4 weeks ago, 4 brand new (budget) tyres on, after 3 days the rear offside tyre blew out. Just been out and when i got back as i was getting out, i hear an expensive hissing...... its stopped now but surely they are meant to last longer than this? I intent on replacing them with some decent tyres but if they only last a month i dont really see the point. Or maybe ive just been unlucky?

Just before xmas as well!

ARGHHHHHH!!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sorry to hear that mate at least you made it home ok.when i bought mine it had four brand new budget tyres on so i made them replace them for four new ones and told them to keep the ditchfinders.Best to get good tyres on any car but especially the st lots of power through those front wheels even on standard power will be a good investment just unfortunate b4 xmas better to be safe than sorry.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
Budget tyres aren't really the sort of thing you should be fitting to a reasonably high powered car, not something I'd skimp on either. I don't even put budget tyres on my partner's 308 diesel, it's just not worth the risk.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dextetro? thats what i can make out in the dark anyway.....new yr present to myself i think, new pair of shoes.....

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
Can't find any details on them in the usual places, no reviews or anything. I would say that is a bad thing - either nobody has tried them or nobody wants to admit they have...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
never even heard of them
mine had budget tyres on the rear when i got it nearly put me off the car as makes me wonder what else the last owner skimped on first thing i did was get them all changed rear end was always twitchy with them ******* on. least i know he cant of been ragging the car around as he would have killed himself
lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I no there are loads of tyre threads on here but what do you think of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's? these seem to get good reviews...

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
They're up there with the best - they're what a lot of people on here use and the Mk3 comes out of the factory with. Cheapest I've found them is on LoveTyres, but you'll need to find somebody to fit them if you get them from there. For a fitted price try Black Cirlces.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i never buy budget tyres for any car i have had since i watched a program were michelin showed the effects of budget tyres in cornering and brakeing it shocked me to see in the slow mo footage how much the rubber moves around

·
Registered
241 Posts
Buying cheap tyres is like playing Russian Roulette in my opinion... The garages that sell cars with cheap rubber should be made to put a warning notice on the car before it gets purchased!

Probably best to take the hit on the cost and get some decent rubber! I took my
into a local tyre centre recently to get the alignment checked and was chatting to the technicians there; they told me that it is surprising how many people bring quite expensive cars into the garage to get new tyres put on and only buy the cheap rubbish! When I had my
, it had Goodyear Eagle F1's on; thought they were good tyres! Go for it!

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
they told me that it is surprising how many people bring quite expensive cars into the garage to get new tyres put on and only buy the cheap rubbish!
I've lost count at the amount of expensive Mercedes, BMWs and the likes running utter carp like Nankang and Triangle tyres.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
225/40 R18 Y (88
225/40 R18 Y (92 XL)

Sorry for being a bit of a novice but whats the difference?

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
The 88 and 92 are the load rating - the higher the number the more weight and load the tyre can take. The letters are the speed rating, having said the I've never seen XL as a speed rating before....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts