Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Do you guys/gals take the
straight to the garage to have the tyres changed or take the wheels down!?

Sure some of you would laugh at this, depends how good the garage is but I have seen a variation of garages and staff within.

Just wondered as when ive taken my other cars in they sometimes chuck the jack under the front wheels suspension with a nice big jack. If you cared though it does say not to jack up under suspension components and
jacking points are quite small on the side.

Also scratching the alloys nut holes when taking the nuts off, its easily done if your not careful

Also seen them mark up the alloys when changing the tyres, only once though and I havent been to that garage since

Just wondered what you all think/do. Big garages would see more expensive & lowered cars.

·
Registered
648 Posts
QUOTE(DeanST @ 2 Jan 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you guys/gals take the
straight to the garage to have the tyres changed or take the wheels down!?

Sure some of you would laugh at this, depends how good the garage is but I have seen a variation of garages and staff within.

Just wondered as when ive taken my other cars in they sometimes chuck the jack under the front wheels suspension with a nice big jack. If you cared though it does say not to jack up under suspension components and
jacking points are quite small on the side.

Also scratching the alloys nut holes when taking the nuts off, its easily done if your not careful

Also seen them mark up the alloys when changing the tyres, only once though and I havent been to that garage since

Just wondered what you all think/do. Big garages would see more expensive & lowered cars.

one of my side skirts has never looked the same since a trip to the garage

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
So far, my tyres changes have only been done at profile so I know my car received the utmost care even if I wasn't there to check up on them

IIRC, Chaz's nut holes (ok that sounds quite dodgy
) got scratched and she got 4 new wheels? Something like that ... someone here will probs know what happened cos I can't remember xD

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Ford did it to my front two alloys when they did the driveshaft TSB.

Problem was that I didn't notice it until about a month later

Not going back to those cowboys again

Chris

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Well i took the BMW to kwik-fit for new tyres (lease company said I had to use them)

The wheels were mint and I told them that when I left it.

Guess what.......

When I picked it up how many of the mint 18" rims were marked......

All 4!!!!

They started by saying there was nothing they could do, the marks were due to the size of the rims and the tyres being run flats.

Then they sent their expert to decide if they had done the damage, he said the damage was due to corrosion?????

I got a report from BMW confirming damage due to poor fitting.

They then wanted to come and have a 3rd look!!!!

Eventually after 3 months of complaining they have now agreed to BMW refurbing all 4 wheels, it was hard work to get this and I suppose I can't force them to pay for new ones as I do not own the car etc.

I am dreading when the ST need new boots.

One thing to also look at is the inside the rims where who ever fits them will likely use and old screwdriver or similar to remove a load of paint and metal along with the balance weights.

I now use a local mobile fitter to do all the wheels on our fleet and not had a problem, they are also cheap
. touch wood I have not had them mark any of the rims 18's & 19's

·
Registered
557 Posts
QUOTENot going back to those cowboys again

I guess the average customer doesnt care about their cars like us, so they get away with it mainly!

Think I will just take the 2 wheels down, and ask the fitter "you wont mark these now"
I will tell them I have had probs before if they ask. Its not as if you get the same fella when you go there thats a problem but this is the only car I have been really concerned about keeping nice

I guess you could jack it and loosen the wheel yourself if you asked them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts