Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, when I picked my St up yesterday, the dealer, who is a mate to, told me when starting cold in the morning to leave the car idling for a minute till revs drop before driving off. This is to prevent turbo wear. Was new to me, have no reason at all not to believe it so just thought I'd share it with you.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,449 Posts
There's an element of truth in what was said but you would measure the gap between starting and driving off in seconds rather than minutes.

If a specific warm up time was necessary it would be in the handbook.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Guys, when I picked my St up yesterday, the dealer, who is a mate to, told me when starting cold in the morning to leave the car idling for a minute till revs drop before driving off. This is to prevent turbo wear. Was new to me, have no reason at all not to believe it so just thought I'd share it with you.
Start and drive away, idling won't circulate oil well enough.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Start and drive away, idling won't circulate oil well enough.
Cranking on the starter generates oil pressure, we never ever start a car when engine or turbo work has been done we run preasure up with the starter.

Our race cars are always cranked with no fuel pumps or coil attached for oil pressure and circulation, check your oil preasure on idle when cold, it's about the same as 3000 rpm when hot.

·
Super Moderator
13,316 Posts
A conversation that's been had many times on here. Allow the oil to warm before any hard driving and let it cool down before switching off - run off boost for the last mile or so of any journey. That's what I do anyway, others have differing opinions.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
A conversation that's been had many times on here. Allow the oil to warm before any hard driving and let it cool down before switching off - run off boost for the last mile or so of any journey. That's what I do anyway, others have differing opinions.
No Sean that's the correct way to do it, some of the cars we run are that over engineered we have to connect them to a pre heater that takes the engine and oil to 70c before we can start them or the engines would break or not crank.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Jump in, start car, redline it in every gear, arrive, switch off. Chop in after 18 months. Problem solved!

Question????

Soft or hard limiter and clutch or no clutch??? :lol:

*i accept no responsibility for anyone behaving like a moron and doing the above.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
What a load of superstitious nonsense. These aren't racing cars, they are family hatchbacks. Common sense should tell you not to rag the absolute nuts off a car when it's cold, but that's about all you need to think about, IMO.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Engines need to run rich durring the initial warm up phase, old cars had a choke, the ST does this automatically. The extra fuel can cause bore wash where the extra fuel washes the oil from the cylinders increasing wear.

Leaving the engine idling will exaggerate this effect as the warm up phase will take longer, driving carefully will minimise any bore wash.

Historically oils were much thicker, especially while cold, this may have been a case for waiting for a minute or two. With modern engines and oil I would suggest starting the engine, give it a few seconds while you buckle the seat belt and drive off....

·
Registered
378 Posts
I get in the car start it up put my belt on and drive off, In the time you have put your belt on its enough.. then if I go for a fun run (loads of right foot) I will run off boost about a mile form the end of where im going and park up 20 seconds if that engine off. If its a normal run wife and baby on board just turn it off right away

·
Registered
292 Posts
I always start and sit till it comes off cold start no boost till oil is up to temp and if driving hard the last 3miles home is in town so no boost and 30 sec on idle on the drive then shut down the engine !!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts