Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon lady's and gents. Well my turbo decided on Thursday morning to shart itself on the motorway and cause everyone behind me to kinda slow right down. I am in the process of getting the turbo off just now but when I took the intercooler and pipes off there was a **** tone of oil in there. So my guess is oil seals(please if I am wrong let me know). I have a turbo coming on Mon or tue. My question is can I clean the intercooler and pipes or would I need new ones.
Thanks
Baz

Registered
When the turbo failed on my old Mondeo TDCi - loss of boost and big plume of blue smoke following me it was actually the shaft that had failed which then took out both the compressor and the turbine oil seals.

Same end result, oil everywhere on the cold side (and blue smoke on the hot side).

I just soaked all the cold side bits in water based degreaser and pressure washed the insides as far as possible. Then rebuilt the turbo with a new turbine wheel/shaft assembly and a new compressor wheel and obviously new seals and it ran another 65k miles before I scrapped it for other reasons.

Just be very careful to see what actually has failed. If the failure is on the cold (compressor) side there may also be debris in the intercooler and pipework. In my case it was a turbine blade that had failed, putting it out of balance so fatiguing the shaft, but the broken bit went into the exhaust, not headed towards the engine.

I would be very interested (personally) to see exactly what your failure is, ie photos, to see if there is anything that makes these turbos susceptible to failure. I've never had a turbo fail on any of my other cars/projects and the Mondeo one was a fairly basic GT1752VNT (very common on that generation of diesel cars and usually reliable) and the non VNT version is also very common but only fails regularly on SAABs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rod the oil was in the throttle body side(think it's the cold side) I will try get as many pics as I can. Once the replacement is on I will strip down the turbo and snap away.
Davey, thanks for the vid, tfr should work aswell I think.

Registered
The turbos aren't that hard to change are they? Looks like there's plenty of room once you remove the wipers and scuttle trim.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Small update. That's the replacement turbo in and bolted up. Mountune recirculation valve installed and one side of the intercooler on. Was quite easy to bring out the bottom, just a bit of wiggling and it pops out. Tomorrow I will try get the rest of it back together, spark plugs changed and oil change. Then hope for the best lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that's it back on the road. Oil level is good, oil pressure is good. The old turbo had a **** tone of shaft play (like 10mm of wiggle), going to take it to bits at some point and see what has failed inside. Rod I will keep you posted as to the failure and try get pics for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts