Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
alright all, i had a merc 220 cdi auto 2 year ago i could get it to make the turbo flutter ( as in the video).

is this bad for the turbo? do STs do it?

whats the difference between a Dump Valve and a Blow off valve?

A couple of mate has twin turbo supras and iv been told that theres had Blow off valves cause it made the flutter noise but if you drove harder and let off it made a whoooooosh noise.

Can any one shed some light??

cheers

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a blow off valve (it's another name for a dump valve). Just get a Dreamscience Induction Kit which has a cone filter. Turbo spool up is very loud and I can make mine do different noises...

Full boost then lift off slightly I'll get some nice chatter

Full boost and lift off completely (like when changing gear) and I get a loud Dump Valve noise

Very much for winners

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Simo @ 25 Feb 2010, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wouldn't bother with a blow off valve (it's another name for a dump valve). Just get a Dreamscience Induction Kit which has a cone filter. Turbo spool up is very loud and I can make mine do different noises...

Full boost then lift off slightly I'll get some nice chatter

Full boost and lift off completely (like when changing gear) and I get a loud Dump Valve noise

Very much for winners

so have you not even got a dump valve?

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
The sts have a recirc vlave as standard, fitting an open filter will give you some more induction noise and some partial dump noise. The baileys dv26 is regarded as the best aftermarket dumpvalve available and is something we can supply to you. Check youtube for plenty of vids showing these off.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 25 Feb 2010, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The sts have a recirc vlave as standard, fitting an open filter will give you some more induction noise and some partial dump noise. The baileys dv26 is regarded as the best aftermarket dumpvalve available and is something we can supply to you. Check youtube for plenty of vids showing these off.

but with fitting a dump valve help with turbo flutter??

as in this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0JO9TfSjw...mp;feature=fvwp

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Gav @ 25 Feb 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Stop being a chav.

HTH.

Let me think about that...... NO!

QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 25 Feb 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>turbo flutter is actuallly the compresor wheel stalling, which shortend turbo life. The atmospheric dump valve eliminates this and you get a vocal dump sound.

thanks for the help. i think its key to look after the turbo so ill not be makeing the turbo flutter.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 25 Feb 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>turbo flutter is actuallly the compresor wheel stalling, which shortend turbo life. The atmospheric dump valve eliminates this and you get a vocal dump sound.
And the recirculating system fitted as standard to the ST does an even better job. It even stops you looking like a ***** when changing gear.

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
I actually changed my turbo solanoid valve, map sensor, spark plugs, then changed map to a pumabuild one. Still had faults? took off my collins Dv and all was well? Then my maf sensor went.
Fords.

Now running DS modc and sometimes b. Is that enough info?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.