Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased my ST a few weeks ago & I am well pleased with it. If I am doing the school run do I have to warm the car up & leave it idle on my return as I have been told that if I don't it could ruin the engine. I have been told that if I don't go over 2k revs there isn't a need, however, trying to keep under this limit is very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
QUOTE(neilos36 @ 13 Dec 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just purchased my ST a few weeks ago & I am well pleased with it. If I am doing the school run do I have to warm the car up & leave it idle on my return as I have been told that if I don't it could ruin the engine. I have been told that if I don't go over 2k revs there isn't a need, however, trying to keep under this limit is very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.
firstly welcome to the club mate
. you dont need to let it idle from cold just take it easy till temps are up and it will be fine and on your return just take the last five minutes or so of your journey steady

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
It's not a highly tuned turbo rocketship, it's a mass produced hatchback that's built for everyday use. Use your common sense, I wouldn't even bother with letting it run after normal road use however if I had just finished a 30 minute track session then yes it would be beneficial to let it run for a minute before turning the ignition off.

·
Registered
269 Posts
QUOTE(weSTie @ 13 Dec 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>firstly welcome to the club mate
. you dont need to let it idle from cold just take it easy till temps are up and it will be fine and on your return just take the last five minutes or so of your journey steady

+1

Welcome mate, it's a turbo so it does need to get up to temp. Safe driving

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(STIOM @ 13 Dec 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>+1

Welcome mate, it's a turbo so it does need to get up to temp. Safe driving

I'd apply the same warming up any car or bike, oil temp gauge is handy for that and same when I had the ST170 too.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yup I also tend to watch the oil temp guage as a good indicator for the when the car can be driven a little more enthusiastically

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
As above. Let the oil temp go up a bit before putting your foot down and drive nicely for the last few minutes before you get to your destination.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
MK3 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
8,495 Posts
i allways get mine warmed up before giving it any beans lad at work used to rag his Golf tdi from cold and wrecked the turbo also i let it idle for a short while before turning off to let the turbo spool down

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(neilos36 @ 13 Dec 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just purchased my ST a few weeks ago & I am well pleased with it. If I am doing the school run do I have to warm the car up & leave it idle on my return as I have been told that if I don't it could ruin the engine. I have been told that if I don't go over 2k revs there isn't a need, however, trying to keep under this limit is very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.
Out of interest, who has been telling you this?

·
Registered
484 Posts
i drive carefully until warm then let the car cool idle for 30sec depending if ive gave it a bleaching or not i give it more time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i always let mine warm up and let her run for a few moments before i stop her it dusnt cost anything and mite help the turbo live a bit longer

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I don't give full beans until the oil temp has reached a quarter, unless someone is trying it on.

And I tend to leave it idling for maybe 5 seconds when I arrive somewhere, unless it's been ragged then I leave it a bit longer.

However, I had a mate that bought a new 1997 UK Impreza Turbo and ragged it from cold every single day and just did the annual servicing as normal. He never let the turbo cool down and still has the car with over 150k miles on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts