Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at upgrading the security on my ST-3 but am a bit unsure of where to spend the money. From what I can see there are 2 choices:

1) Get a new Clifford alarm fitted thought not the Blackjax - it has too many bad reviews on a number of forums
2) Get a tracker fitted.... I had a quote and it came in at £243 + 93 installation plus an annual fee of £132 (think that's right - reading it off a scrap of paper...)

I'm tending to lean towards the tracker, at least if they leave it overnight to see if it has one you get your car back.

Does anyone also know if the CR software can be set to lock the dors as you set off? Some people have said DS has this function but I'm not sure about CR. I know you can lock them yourself but....

Anyway, advice would be welcome!

Thanks

Wiggy

·
Registered
14,671 Posts
As 99% of thefts of ST's involve the keys, the first place you should look at spending on extra security is your house (locks, CCTV etc.).

As far as enabling auto-locking, this is not dependent on what software is installed. It can be done on any car using the Ford IDS system - however this has been removed by Ford in the latest IDS software so finding someone who can still do it may be difficult.

·
Captain Slow
16,274 Posts
QUOTE(hjcrichard @ 11 Dec 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As 99% of thefts of ST's involve the keys, the first place you should look at spending on extra security is your house (locks, CCTV etc.).

Agree with Rich on this, I can't think of a post stating that an ST has been taken without the keys. If you want to spend money on the vechials security I'd personally go for a tracker. I seem to recall a post a while ago now where some poor sod had his car stolen but his tracker system activated and the police found it, abandoned a short while later.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm also looking at fitting a tracker, had a clifford on a previous car and found it a bit of a pain at times. Had problems when leaving car whilst on holidays and any load noise used to set the glass sensor off.

The tracker is £340 fitted plus £132 for annual or if you intend to keep the car £342 for the period you own the car maybe worth considering.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(hjcrichard @ 11 Dec 2009, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As 99% of thefts of ST's involve the keys, the first place you should look at spending on extra security is your house (locks, CCTV etc.).

As far as enabling auto-locking, this is not dependent on what software is installed. It can be done on any car using the Ford IDS system - however this has been removed by Ford in the latest IDS software so finding someone who can still do it may be difficult.

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the keys beign the weak point but not too worried about that as I live in a secure flat but the point is taken. You dont have to be inside to have the keys stolen. This is why I am concentrating on how best to protect the car and Mrs when driving / leaving it anywhere.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(Wiggy @ 11 Dec 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I live in a secure flat

Is there such a thing? No premises are secure but if you get a decent CCTV system it should put some would-be thieves off. I looked at tracker but in my opinion they're useless. If my car gets nicked i wouldnt want it back, let it disappear and give me a new one! Simple fact is that if they want your car they WILL get it. Tracker just ruins this theory.

Don't waste your hard earned it's simply not worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts