Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ever asked a question you wish you never?
Yep every time i ask a question, its real sad no one reads the question in its simple words, phil above gave near to the right answer but they are great videos for exhaust types. Its not a hard question since many said they had the car from new so they should be able to answer without saying modified over and over.

I'm just going to leave it with the questions on here as its the same all the time with the replies, nothing bad but it gets very annoying.

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
My old ST500 was very quiet in normal trim. By the time I sold her she spat flames, popped & banged like a machine gun, chattered & whooshed on gear changes (and spat more flames), and howled like a banshee on full chat. All down to the work I did on her. With the age of these cars you will either find cossetted - and valuable - standard cars (that are quiet & 'normal') or modified ones that make a racket....................................
If that is the answer you needed then I answered it on my first post? A 'normal' ST is very quiet & as such sounds pretty much like any other car on the road. So if you want to hear what a 'normal' ST sounds like stand by the side of the road & listen to any other car going past as it will be roughly the same. It doesn't have to be just an ST. However as soon as you hear a car - be it ST or not - that does not sound 'normal' like all the others it is likely because it has had some form of work done to it? My statement still stands though in that you are very unlikely to find a 'normal' ST anywhere hence if you are just listening to ST's you are likely listening to ones that are changed in some sense so you will never know what a 'normal' ST sounds like by listening to them....
However it was just because my stock ST500 sounded like every other car on the road when I got it that I then changed it to make sure it didn't sound the same at the end!
Maybe next time you are at a car show go & talk to the Concours guys who do have completely stock cars & ask one of them to start their car up to listen to it? However they will likely look at you in horror & panic when you want them to actually turn their car on & run it rather than just polish it & look at it!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Sorry nick but you stated an assumption of your car and others and saying it like all cars sound the same, as I said Phil gave me some of what I wanted but exhaust tone which was nice but not engine noise.

I've had a word with the guy I mentioned in another post with the orange st which to my surprise was a ex-member on here, his is fully stock still and was happy to show me his car and started it and it sounds nothing like normal cars as said, gave it a great rev to show it's exhaust tone.

I got his number so next time I have a question he said just to txt him and not on here as he got the same when asking questions.

cheers to who helped but this thread can be closed as I got it answered by a ex member :)

41 - 44 of 44 Posts