Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,726 Posts
Redlining a car all the time is just cranking up the total revolutions it's doing... The mileage an engine does doesn't make much difference in comparison to it's revolutions, that's why high torque low rpm engines (diesel, lorries, boats) last longer than high revving race cars before they need a rebuild. At least with piston engines.

Like every animal on earth has approximately one million heart beats on average, the faster you use them the sooner things fail...

My car rarely breaks 3k rpm for normal driving, but the noise my car makes is addictive when you want that performance as well. Torque may tail off at 4k but the revolutions means power is still up there (until the torque trails off too fast). Depending on the exact tune and rpm's you'll be losing power shifting before 4k, whereas shifting at 5k keeps you at the peak power. Terms and conditions apply...

Mine in particular and I'm assuming most of them sound something similar, has a radical tone change as your near red line. That's when I feel the engine sounds like she doesn't want to go further and change gear. Can't remember last time I actually heard that noise though...

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
As has been stated a few times I think you are over thinking how you should be driving the car? Just drive it & enjoy it. If you want to drive steady then that's fine however do not expect a huge amount of noise & everything. These cars are meant to be pushed & driven 'enthusiastically'! With the turbo though - like any turbo - if you gradually apply the revs you do not put the demand on it so it will never spin up & work at it's best. At that point you are actually strangling the engine as the thing designed to increase the performance isn't being allowed to do that & hence works the opposite! If I wanted to I could drive my car through all the gears & never get any boost if I just tickled the loud pedal. Turbo's work better with a big demand on them so you can still stamp on the loud pedal, get the boost - with the noise & everything you want - then just back off when you get to the speed etc you need. You haven't got to redline line it in every gear! It's not a case of all or nothing. As for red lining if a 'mechanic' at a garage red lined my car just to check boost the car wouldn't be the only thing going into the red! Plus if your car is going going 1/4 or so up the boost gauge I suspect it isn't mapped so again you will not be getting much noise as I would think by now 95% of ST's left on the road have had or got some form of map on them!!
As for the thing about wrecking the crankshaft by burying the throttle I have never heard of that? If it was the case I would have been through thousands of them by now...............:whistle:

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,726 Posts
1 billion seconds (1 thousand million) is 31 years.

Your heart beats roughly once a second.
Fine if you're going to try and argue the maths about what I said which is an "average" I'll also correct myself to say that apparently the studies are only with mammals and just remove the numbers and say that an animal with a really fast heart rate dies sooner than an animal with a really slow heart rate, and in total (on average) both animals have a similar amount of beats during their lifetime.

The whole point of that is a car that revs at 5k for it's life will die sooner than one doing 2k but going for a run on occasion isn't (likely) going to destroy the engine.

I forgot that this forum was still on the internet where you need to have all your sources and facts completely correct otherwise people want to ignore the whole point of the comment to prove you're wrong 😂😂

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Nick its not its now about my driving ways as i do both but don't redline it (i did it on my mgzr while in a bad mood and blew my head) so i know not to and yes when i seen the video the kid took while redlining my car i just took my keys and left, if you got to redline a car just to show boost then clearly something is up but it just seemed pumaspeed just wanted nothing to do with it.

The foot straight to the floor and not build up the speed and pressure can be found on here and other web sites, i did it twice before i read you had to build the pressure up and not foot straight to the floor, if true i don't know but i have noticed the diffre in how i do get better take over speed when building up.

I'm not expecting much as, as its been stated not all st's are the same from engine noise to exhaust tones, from standard to being mapped, this is mainly about the standard engine noise, no exhaust noise, how the engine acts when making the noise, do they all sound like they got a bov? are they really meant to be very quite or be medium on sound?

Fine if you're going to try and argue the maths about what I said which is an "average" I'll also correct myself to say that apparently the studies are only with mammals and just remove the numbers and say that an animal with a really fast heart rate dies sooner than an animal with a really slow heart rate, and in total (on average) both animals have a similar amount of beats during their lifetime.

The whole point of that is a car that revs at 5k for it's life will die sooner than one doing 2k but going for a run on occasion isn't (likely) going to destroy the engine.

I forgot that this forum was still on the internet where you need to have all your sources and facts completely correct otherwise people want to ignore the whole point of the comment to prove you're wrong 😂😂
You could ad the heart beat to the humans, when my dad was without dementia his heart beats was fine but when he got to stage 2 his heart was beating 3 times faster so medication was needed twice a day. If he went on without it he would of warn out his heart in 3 months the dr said and would of been very pain full, this being like a engine as you say, if you rag them, in the end its like a heart taking its last beats then your engine is dead.

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,726 Posts
Our cars are turbod and if they've built boost and the throttle closes that boost needs to go somewhere. Usually leads to a pssht noise. But as they recirculate this noise is minimised, especially on a standard car that might only be making boost for the engine that only brings it up to atmospheric pressure anyway. Otherwise it should be fairly obvious if the tone yours is making isn't a happy one. Typically they're meant to quiet. Just sounds like an engine normally. Chances are if it is making an unhealthy tone it would be easy to find and probably expensive to fix

As for flooring it... That builds boost as soon as possible, that builds power as soon as possible and a sudden spike in load will strain things more than building that power gradually. I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time but I wouldn't necessarily avoid it completely

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The only noticeable noise on my car is the DMF as that is next to be replaced, once car is fully warm you don't hear it.

I've been told its healthy but just needs the odd ware and tear done, nothing big. no bottom end knock or rattle like i've heard on some (now are on facebook as like new lol)

The crackshaft thing is 50/50 on me as the rover/mg k-series had this problem (even when warmed up) just planting your foot with no build up or moving but got straight for the instant boost is what i've seen many do and it makes a harried noise. Build up is a must from what i've read (on on this thread) you get less stress on the engine and components.

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
We seem to be going in circles here? At the end of the day it is your car & you can drive it however you want to but comparing it to how other cars look & sound is pointless as you can never control how that person drives their car unless you drive theirs - or they drive yours - to get a direct comparison. Given some of the people driving these cars now considering how cheap they are getting I am surprised they know which is the front or back - let alone whether their car is modified or not!
In short:
A completely standard ST is - for what type of car it is i.e. a hot hatch - very quiet and civilised.
A modified ST is the complete opposite - hence the ASBO nickname - and can be very loud and uncilivised.
Obviously a semi modified car falls between the two.

However you can get a completely standard car & rag the **** off it to make it sound loud & uncivilised.
Likewise you can get a highly modified car & drive it like Miss Daisy & it will be all quiet & nice - until you bury the right foot!

At the end of the day the car is - and will sound - whatever you want it to be & how you want to drive it. As long as you look after it, enjoy it, & drive it how you want it to who cares what it looks - or sounds like - compared to any other car? If you drive it gently & the car lasts 300K miles then great! If you rag the **** of it & it expires after 50K miles then it's your fault & you need to pay for something else - however you probably had a lot more fun in those 50K miles than the person doing 300K miles!!!!

A guy round the corner from me actually has Mclaren & I wish my car looked & sounded like his - but I know it never will no matter what I do to it!!!

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Nick i get what you mean but i'm really not sure you've read my posts properly, i agree all cars are differ but i'm on about fully untouched, non rags to sh*t cars and i'm not saying i'm really comparing but if a standard (fully) sounds like this, lovely and quite then foot down has its tone higher, same driving ways and pattern as another driver with the same as that car doing the same should be like 1:1. Its about the original sound of a fully standard car. The way its worded sounds like i'm fully comparing but this was just me saying yes not every car is the same and i would like the original sound, not a ragged or modded sound of a car.

I fully get what everyone is saying, not every car is the same, makes,brand,modded, ect

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
But again I do not see what you are worrying about? You've already said your car has a 3" inch so is not standard hence can only be compared to another similarly slightly modded car? Hence it won't sound like a 'normal' car. If you want to find out what that sounds like then fit a normal exhaust - but then why do that? Like I have said the chances of finding a completely unmodded ST around these days is also very rare. If you think your car is making other strange noises you can't compare that to any other car as all cars will sound different anyway for a million different reasons! Hence even two completely standard cars will sound different!
As per my post all you can do is look after your car & enjoy your car. What anyone else's car looks or sounds like is irrelevant and cannot be compared other than 'that sounds nice' or 'that sounds like ****' which again is a purely personal & subjective decision anyway!

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Nick I'm sorry but you still have not read my post properly, so I'm sorry but it really seems stupid to keep putting that view over, I enjoy the car on how I've got the car, MY CAR but if you read my post I just want to know what a UNMODIFIED, STANDARD ST SOUNDS LIKE. ( sorry I've had to cap the misunderstanding that some have understud but many haven't on this thread.

Why so much discussion over how a car sounds? Get in it and enjoy how it drives :)
As I've pointed out I just want to know what it sounds like but it seems too hard for some to understand this in simple words, I'm not being a dik or childish but many people like to know stuff and learn but as said above it's always wrongs pointed out without facts all the time, it kills the mood of learning new things.:)

Absolutely, just be thankful it isnt’t a knocking diesel😂
I agree, I drove my little brothers Mondeo and all it did was knock it's t*ts off, ex taxi as well lol.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,557 Posts
As I've pointed out I just want to know what it sounds like but it seems too hard for some to understand this in simple words, I'm not being a dik or childish but many people like to know stuff and learn but as said above it's always wrongs pointed out without facts all the time, it kills the mood of learning new things.:)
I don't think you'll find any two cars will sound exactly the same - you'd need to find two cars with the same mileage, driven in the same way, using the same petrol, same oil, etc etc because all of those things can make a difference, right down to a smallest variation in spark plug gap. Yours is modified anyway so is going to be different to standard.

I wouldn't have thought too many people post videos on social media of a standard car exhaust noise, they're more about showing off how they've managed to make it sound, in their opinion, better.

Unless it's making a noise you don't think it's supposed to and as long as it's performing how you would expect it to then the sound it makes is really neither here nor there. If it's making a sound you don't think it should or it's not performing as you think it should then ask questions about that maybe.

I don't mean to be rude or dismissive at all, it just seems like something that shouldn't really matter all that much unless the car is poorly.

Maybe attend a car meet (like Sports Cars in the Park last weekend where there was a whole heap of ST's and in fact RSOC had a stand there - or something nearer to you) and that will give you somewhere to compare?

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@Sean B I do take all that into account, most times you can find full videos of old fords coming from the factory with clips of what they want to show off, including the tones of certain parts of the car, ever engine, turbo or exhaust which i could not find.

I just wanted to truly hear the sound, a bit like people with asmr likes. I think next time i request i'll just not as it seems to be the same over and over. Nothing rude or anything and if anyone took offence of it then i'm sorry.

I was at the mini car show at himerly hall but son did not see there was another one till it popped up on his youtube feed or i would of went to it.

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
As I, and many people have said though, asking 'what does a standard ST sounds like' is like asking 'what is the colour blue'. You will get a thousand different answers as everyone's idea of what the color blue is is going to be different. Same with an ST's 'noise'. Apart from the fact that finding a standard ST is going to be like rocking horse **** as I think every ST I see is modified - so sounds different! Even yours has a 3" exhaust on it. I guarantee if you hear an ST & think 'that doesn't sound like mine' it is down to there being some modification on that other car that you haven't got. Even if that 'modification' is down to it being ragged & not maintained properly!
We can only think that what you are trying to ask is that whether another noise you are hearing is normal in which case let us know what that noise is - or isn't - and we might be able to help? Other than that if you are wanting to know why your car doesn't sound like other ST's then either stop the other ST & ask what he has done to it to make it not sound like yours - or take off any & all aftermarket parts on your car to return it to as near to stock as possible & see what it sounds like. However at that stage I can guarantee it will still will not sound like any other ST - stock or not!

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,726 Posts
Ever asked a question you wish you never?

Just to throw it out there, my car looks very standard, but has a good flutter noise thanks to an upgraded recirc valve. And if I wanted to fit an open cone, it doesn't do much to quieten the flutter so you'll hear it more...but she would still look standard.

A friend fitted a cone to a Mégane and even as the only modification that made a very loud flutter noise you could here from 3-4 cars behind him. Very annoying noise 😂

21 - 40 of 44 Posts