Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I got a spam email today trying to sell me a tracker unit & subscription for £1200, which got me thinking.... how cheap can it be done?

I've been fishing around ebay for an hour to find a unit that takes a data SIM (which I have spare already, and is free data usage forever!
) and a hardwire charger for less than £70. The unit supposedly does GPRS tracking via a PC and SMS co-ordinates to a mobile phone, it has speed trigger and movement settings, and can even be dialled into to listen into the car.

I think I'm going to take the plunge for £70 and test one out, not expecting great things to be honest but even just a simple "co-ordinates by txt" is worth the price if it gets nicked! I'll be updating this as and when I have any progress.

EDIT: This seems to have now been achieved! The tracker works fine and is a great buy for less than £65 in the end. Few things,
1. There are basic user instructions further on this thread
2. Best software seems to be the Microsoft Mappoint
3. It will not give you a better deal on your insurance, its for a little added security and is not an endorsed tracker. It works from mobile phone signal NOT radio waves so it will have moments of being in no signal.

EDIT: CONFIGURATION & USER GUIDE ******CLICK HERE******

EDIT: I no longer have the tracker talked about here.

EDIT: I now have a new model that allows me to cut the engine from my mobile phone. If the car is stolen I can disable the car by cutting any chosen electrical circuit, and track the location of the car. This allows me to also "live track" the car. I can also call the car from my mobile and listen in to the cabin!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
So I couldnt resist having a test of this unit, put in a SIM, txt it to "initialise", its txts back to say "OK" and thats the setup complete. You can now call it or txt it and it auto replies instantly with Longitude / Latitude Co-ordinates. I have attached a picture below from Google earth to show you how close it is. Within 3m actually! I've blacked out the co-ords (for obvious reasons.)

The unit can do all sorts, Geo-fencing, speed monitor, dialin voice monitor, autotracking via GPRS and IP, movement alert. However now i know the basics work i'll hardwire it into the car this weekend.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(dwrowley @ 2 Feb 2010, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>did you black out your car as well or does the PB stand out that much
see you at the meet at cosford
David

Well google earth isnt live so the sat imagery didnt have my car on there. I added the oval to represent where the tracker was at that time. However when i get round to cleaning it
, it will look exactly that colour!

See you sunday mate.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(goonturbo @ 2 Feb 2010, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what network is the sim on? more to the point how do i get one with free data for life.

Might have a bash at this myself.

I take it that it uses google earth for the live tracking?

Perk of my job mate! Its a BT mobile SIM. Yeah it uses google earth. I can do a demo at Cosford on Sunday should anyone want to see how quick/easy it is. Really is a bargain at under £70. Even without the sim id just get a PAYG sim and plonk a tenner on it. That would last for ages!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
QUOTE(DaveCHCI @ 2 Feb 2010, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perk of my job mate! Its a BT mobile SIM. Yeah it uses google earth. I can do a demo at Cosford on Sunday should anyone want to see how quick/easy it is. Really is a bargain at under £70. Even without the sim id just get a PAYG sim and plonk a tenner on it. That would last for ages!

I wont be there for a demo. Its a bit far for me to travel

Am not that up on phone technology.

I take it any sim card would do the job?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(goonturbo @ 2 Feb 2010, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wont be there for a demo. Its a bit far for me to travel

Am not that up on phone technology.

I take it any sim card would do the job?

Correct, all it needs to do is be able to do txt messages. If you want the fancy
such as live tracking via APN then you also need to enable the GPRS/HSDPA (fast data) services. However for it to work basically ANY normal sim on ANY network will do.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dave .......... C'mon mate, is it REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY that easy to set up ????

Some of us are a wee bit 'thick' so could you do a complete run through of how to ?

I know you have done a little starter at the beginning but a more in depth idea would be great!

Had a look at the site you purchased from on flee bay and they sell several different types ( ones with 12v cable inc / GSM etc ) ......... which should I order? After power on all the time + Pay as you Go on Orange network on mine!

Any help ????

Cheers

Mark

Looking at this one on flee bay : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Realtime-GPS-GSM-GPR...=item414b9e683e

What do you reckon ?

Having a Parrot system fitted tomorrow so gonna get em to wire a power lead for quick connection!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(Gixermark @ 3 Feb 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dave .......... C'mon mate, is it REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY that easy to set up ????

Some of us are a wee bit 'thick' so could you do a complete run through of how to ?

I know you have done a little starter at the beginning but a more in depth idea would be great!

Had a look at the site you purchased from on flee bay and they sell several different types ( ones with 12v cable inc / GSM etc ) ......... which should I order? After power on all the time + Pay as you Go on Orange network on mine!

Any help ????

Cheers

Mark

Looking at this one on flee bay : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Realtime-GPS-GSM-GPR...=item414b9e683e

What do you reckon ?

Having a Parrot system fitted tomorrow so gonna get em to wire a power lead for quick connection!

Thats the exact one I got, however it was about a fiver cheaper last week?? The hardwire charger is just a +ve & -ve wire so can be wired anywhere where there is power. Havent decided where mine will go yet.

It really is easy. This is the most in depth that you will ever need:

1. Put the SIM into the unit (make a note of its phone number, add it as a contact to your mobile as Tracker), make sure it has NO pin enabled. (& that it has credit).
2. Txt the unit with begin123456 this is a command to start the unit for the first time. The 123456 is the default admin password.
3. The unit will txt back with beginok
Now I aint lying, that is the basic setup DONE!
4. To use immediately txt the unit with the following command
t030s005n
This is the tracker command, what you are doing is saying
Track every 30 seconds for 5 number of times
This can be changed, some more examples below
t020s001n this txts you the co-ordinates of the tracker just once. Most popular command.
t060s005n this txts you the co-ords every minute for 5 minutes and will also give you a speed in the txt.

5. The txt comes back with longitude,latitude,speed etc and all you do is bang this into Google earth for a location like posted previously.
6. To change the admin password from 123456 to (for example) 234567. Must be 6 digits. Txt password123456 234567
7. You can add and remove authorised numbers to the tracker. (numbers that are allowed to request info)
Adding admin123456 07711234567
Removing noadmin123456 07711234567
These authorised numbers can (instead of txt) call the tracker, it will hang up and then send you its co-ords automatically.
8. Another little feature I've tested is the voice monitor bit. This involves a setup txt first to change between monitor and tracker mode.
Txt the unit with monitor123456 to turn monitor mode on. You will get monitorok txt back. Now just call the unit it will answer and you will be able to voice monitor the unit.
Txt tracker123456 to turn tracker back on.

Is this detailed enough?
Any more questions just ask mate.

Dave

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
If it goes out of GPS signal (i.e. in a garage or a tunnel) does it remember the last position it had signal?

i.e. a toe-rag nicks your car and chucks it in a barn for a bit until the rozzers cool off (sorry, I'm 33!!) - if you text the unit, will it text back with the last valid signal it had before it was put in the barn? Or will it come back with "no GPS signal", or similar?

1 - 20 of 222 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.