Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to tear my hamstring playing hockey this weekend, and I'm debating whether to waste my time seeing a doctor/physio about it.

Having done this five or six times in the last decade (highly strung!) I know the drill by now:
  • First 48 hours - Regular ice, elevation & stretching
  • Next couple of weeks - Regular stretching and gradually get back into light load bearing exercise (e.g. gym work ; ham curls, stiff leg deadlifts & good morning, building up to cleans, power squats & lightly weighted plyometrics).
  • 3-4 weeks onwards - Start bringing gentle running & moderate sprints back in
All the while, keeping a good clean high protein diet, lots of anti-inflammatories (on diclofenac for bursitis atm anyway
).

If I go to the doctor, I know they'll not really do anything other than refer me to a physio (if at all), for which I'll have to wait a few weeks.

My question is (to those who've been in a similar situation of course!), is whether a physio is likely to be able to offer me anything that I can't do myself, or whether I'm best just sticking to the plan?

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
I would have said it's worth going to the GP to confirm the diagnosis of torn hamstring, and to confirm that there is no supplementary damage.

Should the GP confirm the diagnosis, I would have thought your plan was a good one. It's certainly more or less what I did when I tore mine......

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 17 Nov 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would have said it's worth going to the GP to confirm the diagnosis of torn hamstring, and to confirm that there is no supplementary damage.

Should the GP confirm the diagnosis, I would have thought your plan was a good one. It's certainly more or less what I did when I tore mine......

I am 100% certain it's a torn hamstring

Lunged for the ball, shooting pain in the back of the thigh and a tight clenched feeling in the muscle. Pain subsided pretty quickly, but sparked up if I activated the muscle. Since then, I'm able to curl my leg back gently without pain, so it's not too severe, but any speed or attempt to walk with a long stride flare it up again.

It's definitely not an avulsion, so no surgical intervention necessary. It's probably a grade 1/grade 2 tear of the semitendinosus, which puts the recovery somewhere around the 6 week mark if I stick to all my exercises.

·
1,599 Posts
All the physio will do is give you exercises to do at home mate, really not worth it.

Like you say you know the drill, it's just a case of slowly re strengthening the muscle.

Best exercises are to stand on your good leg with your back leg just behind so your toes are pointing at the floor. slowly raise your foot behind you as much as you can (it'll really hurt at fist) then slowly lower back down

another good one is to sit on an office style chair and drag yourself along the floor using only your bad leg. ie stretching out os far as you can then pulling yourself along.

hope this helps, i'm feeling your pain

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(razzleultra @ 17 Nov 2009, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's probably a grade 1/grade 2 tear of the semitendinosus, which puts the recovery somewhere around the 6 week mark if I stick to all my exercises.

Right - well, stop pratting about on here then and get on with it....

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 17 Nov 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Right - well, stop pratting about on here then and get on with it....

Sorry I made a mistake in my original plan:
  • First 48 hours - Regular ice, elevation & stretching
  • Next couple of weeks - Regular stretching and gradually get back into light load bearing exercise (e.g. gym work ; ham curls, stiff leg deadlifts & good morning, building up to cleans, power squats & lightly weighted plyometrics).
  • 3-4 weeks onwards - Start bringing gentle running & moderate sprints back in
  • Continuous - pratting about on focusstoc.com, even though I drive a Seat
That's the real key to recovery...

I have been stretching it like a ballerina ever since I did it. At this rate I'll be more flexible when I go back than I was before I got injured!

And thanks for the exercises Rickylee! Hadn't heard of those before, but they sound perfect for between gym sessions!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks like you know the score. Doctors are a waste of time when its muscle injuries. I would say its always good to see a physio, but make sure they deal in sports injury and are hands on. Massage and heat created by this stimulates the torn fibers to heal back together.
You have had the same injury a few times so maybe you need to look at the strength/conditioning work your doing.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(smiff @ 17 Nov 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You have had the same injury a few times so maybe you need to look at the strength/conditioning work your doing.

Apparently my running 'gait' isn't great, due to tightness in the hamstrings and lower back, which causes me to over-extend. According to my last physio anyway! I did my exercises, and think I've got better, but I just over-stretched this time.

I also reckon my thighs are too long for my hamstrings

·
Registered
477 Posts
I wonder if you went to the physio if he/she would perhaps try ultrasound on your injury. I know that when I destroyed my shoulder muscles and ligaments earlier this year that they subjected me to the ultrasound treatment and it worked wonders.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Clean diet and rest is the plan, more rest then anything. Heat packs help a lot.

Make sure you diet is healthy, e.g. includes some fat, in particular fish, walnuts, corn, soy beans. For omega 3 & 6 as they aid tissue repair. I wouldn't do any lower body exercises until there is no pain and yet some more.

If you reckon your hams are too short - do some stretching in addition to strength exercises.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts