Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've today bEen advised I need to change one of my front top mounts, thought I may as well do both.
While looking on carpartsexpress I noticed u can buy the mount, and the bearings separately, is there a reason for this? I'm guessing it would be the bearings that wear not the mount itself,
If any one could shed some light idvbe greatfull, as I need to order 4 drop links, front wishbone bush kits and top mounts, any saving would be good si if it's just the bearings I need that's a little saved.
Chherd

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
They might sell the bearings seperately as its very common for people to lose them when they change front struts! Personally i would only ever replace the whole thing unless its a sealed bearing unit like on the BC Racing coilovers!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know my old mechanic dropped the bearings on one side when it was lowered, he found them all, cleaned them re fitted and greased them, think its actually the side that's worn too, ok I'll just order the set. Expensive visit next time methinks

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You have the actual bearing assembly and then a triangle shaped plate that sits on top of that, all bolted down via the strut nut.
You don't need the triangle plate, it's just a rubber covered plate that is used to bolt the shock to the strut tower. Just buy the complete bearing assembly and fit it.
They're about £20 each from Ford if I remember correctly.
Easy job to change too so shouldn't cost too much to get done.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
You have the actual bearing assembly and then a triangle shaped plate that sits on top of that, all bolted down via the strut nut.
You don't need the triangle plate, it's just a rubber covered plate that is used to bolt the shock to the strut tower. Just buy the complete bearing assembly and fit it.
That makes sense Chris! I thought he meant they sold the ball bearings seperately!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Top man... Yep at carpartsexpress they sell the bearing unit separately. Thanks uv just saved me a few quid. Next job order all 4 drop links, top mount bearings and power flex kit. won't be going to fords tho, I prefer to give the sponsors my money when I can

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Thanks mate, they look good. Are there any advantages over the oem ones other than being stronger?
Do u happen to know of any uprated or better top mounts too?
Cheers

As above
No real advantage apart from price maybe as the OE ones are very good. You might find the Meyle ones last longer but then the OE ones last ages anyway. I don't think you can get uprated top mounts for the standard dampers - no real need as the originals last ages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts