Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Formerly known as wabbit1
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

what's the best way to prepare your car for an upcoming show? Is there any recommended way to clean a car on at show?

Hope the above makes sense?!?

·
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(vicarofsheff @ 25 Jan 2010, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use
Meguiars NXT Speed Detailer it works sound and does a good job

So, would I just apply this directly to the car when I arrive at location or before (Sorry for sounding ignorant)

My current regime is
1 - SnowFoam
2 - Wash with Meguires GC
3 - Polish with Autoglym SRP
4 - Wax with Autoglym HD Wax

Every now and then I clay the car and wheels to remove the build up of yuck.

I'll be going to a couple of shows/meets this year and want to make sure my ST is super clean when I get there

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I have a portable car washing kit complete with hose attachment plus the usual bags full of microfibres and an Autoglym pack with every possible cleaning gunk known to man.

Which is ironic, given that I never used to clean my car, and now pay the Poles to do it for £12 inside-and-out in less than 10 mins. The washery-thingy's good though, recommended.

http://washford.scene7.com/is-viewers/flas...iewSize=450,507

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
As per the Vicar for me, good wax etc before you go then a quick wipe over with quick detailer at the show. Job done.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
i use megs ultimate speed detailer, it helps to prevent water from lying on your car if it rains, also makes it easier to dry the car, also good to use on windows, works similar to products like 'rain-x' and products like that.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 get the car as glean as you can before you go.

2 Get plenty of water (I use de-ionised water) in bottled (I have been known to take over 20 ltrs)

3Get one of those pump strayers

4 when you arive, do a couple of panels at a time, start by spraying the panels, have some clean soapy water in a bucket, very lightly wipe the panels clean, do not be tight on the water. Rinse with the sprayer and dry, then move to the next set of panels panel.

I have been doing concours for over 15 years and alway follow this, these new fangled sprays will never take over form a well thought out and gentle clean.

And what ever you do, do not polish a car at a show, it is far form an ideal enviroment.

After doing the body, do the door shuts, then start on the wheels then the wheel arches, then floor pan end exhaust (don't forget to do inside)

Fianly polish the tires and tread and line the wheels up

·
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Dennis @ 27 Jan 2010, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 get the car as glean as you can before you go.

2 Get plenty of water (I use de-ionised water) in bottled (I have been known to take over 20 ltrs)

3Get one of those pump strayers

4 when you arive, do a couple of panels at a time, start by spraying the panels, have some clean soapy water in a bucket, very lightly wipe the panels clean, do not be tight on the water. Rinse with the sprayer and dry, then move to the next set of panels panel.

I have been doing concours for over 15 years and alway follow this, these new fangled sprays will never take over form a well thought out and gentle clean.

And what ever you do, do not polish a car at a show, it is far form an ideal enviroment.

After doing the body, do the door shuts, then start on the wheels then the wheel arches, then floor pan end exhaust (don't forget to do inside)

Fianly polish the tires and tread and line the wheels up

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nice pics. Both the Elise and the ST look like they've just had a 'proper' going over. I presume you give the car a proper detail before setting out and then a clean when you get there to bring back the just detailed' look.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
my routine is day before the show give the car a full wash then i paint primer the hole car then polish then wax and finally quick detailer the hole car. on the day as soon as i get there i wash the car to get rid of any dust dirt etc off the car then dry the car off and apply quick detailer then dress the tyres and polish the tail pipes job done. all products i use on the car are megs stuff

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
QUOTE(RichFST @ 30 Jan 2010, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice pics. Both the Elise and the ST look like they've just had a 'proper' going over. I presume you give the car a proper detail before setting out and then a clean when you get there to bring back the just detailed' look.

Thanks, I did not take notice of how long I spent on the elise (I spent a couple of weeks on it as not shown it for a couple of years
) but on the ST I spent 60 hours on it before setting out, then I arrived at the show the day before and cleaned off flies, wheels inside and out etc.

Then on the day of the show the usual full wash rinse and dry and presentation, (wheels set straight, brochure, spec sheet, vehicle history etc.)

·
Registered
414 Posts
QUOTE(Dennis @ 30 Jan 2010, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richfst, I haven't got any of the old days on my computer but here are a a few of the Elise, the pictures are not photoshopped, it is the colour

I have fun with this as there isn't much room for cleaning gear, so less water and a folding bucket

1 - 20 of 21 Posts