Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys thinking of having my rear lights tinted, can you tint the reverse and fog light too or is that illegal?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've got all mine tinted and whilst I can't comment on legality, I know they have passed the mot a couple of times. The reverse is pants tho, even with a Cree led.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How dark did you go with yours? Should be fine if you've passed an mot with it then. Did you do it yourself or have a bodyshop do it?

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
From the MoT inspection manual issued 01/01/2012 about lights:

Reasons for failure:
  • Inoperative or less than 50% of the light sources illuminating
  • Obscured so that less than 50% of the lamp illuminating surface is visible from the front or rear as appropriate
  • Not visible from a reasonable distance due to excessive damage, deterioration, or having products on the lens or light source
  • Shows a light other than red to the rear and white to the front (or yellow if a front position lamp is incorporated in a yellow headlamp)
  • Adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp, e.g. dual-function lamps on foreign vehicles.
So essentially down to the tester's judgement as far as tints go.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
As long as the lights show properly and clearly through the tint you should be ok - but the main reason for MOT failure/police stops is the covering of the rear reflectors - they must remain free of tint.

·
Formerly Azionamento
2,760 Posts
Tinting lights...to make them less visible sounds like a pretty dumb thing to do to me...bet your insurance company wouldn't be impressed either...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts