Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Ive just completed my 70,000 km service and was told that the ST runs a timing chain which does not have to be replaced yet. I was also told by the Volvo guys that the T5 engines require a timing chain replacement every 60,000 km. Would anyone be able to advise if we run a timing chain/belt and when it has to be replaced?

Also, after i got my car back from the service, I notice a short screech whenever i crank my engine on startup. The sound only lasts as long as the cranking and goes away the moment the engine has started. It is a high pitch screech that only came on after i got my car back. Not sure what this might be...

·
Registered
337 Posts
If its just on start up, could be a sticking starter motor. Could be the solenoid being slow to disengage the bendix from the flywheel.
Squeeks and rattles are always difficult to diagnose online LOL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Granite @ 22 Dec 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If its just on start up, could be a sticking starter motor. Could be the solenoid being slow to disengage the bendix from the flywheel.
Squeeks and rattles are always difficult to diagnose online LOL

THanks for that. Any idea when our timing chains have to be replaced?

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,261 Posts
No idea about the timing chain, but the screeching could be a slightly slack aux drive belt.

I think this is likely as they ought to have re-tensioned the belt in the service, and screeching on start up is a classic sign of a slack belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts