Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to replace the front tyres (18's) on my ST-2. The factory fitted Goodyears have done well and lasted 25,000 miles. Ford wanted to charge me £220 EACH for new like for like replacements (total rip off) but I've found them online for around the £115 mark. I'm happy to pay this but just wondered if anyone had changed to a different brand tyre and what, if any were the benifits and price? Thanks.

· Registered
4,433 Posts
Is that what you would advise?
Well I rotate my tyres so a set of 4 wears down at the same time and I can swap them all at once and have a complete fresh set.

As rubber ages it hardens, so it's up to you. If you're a like Unicorn above then keep the harder,softer edged tyres with less grip on the back, to potentially catch you out when it's raining and lose the back end. The older tyres on the front will make the car more prone to understeer in the same wet condtions. Personal preference really but I find it easier to control understeer than oversteer. It's been discussed to death though, so will probably start some sort arguement/debate on here the way things have been going lately.

To promote under steer?
Pretty much yeh!

· Registered
722 Posts
I understand the concept of newer tyres on the rear and older tyres on the front. However to get understeer on normal road driving you have to be driving like a tool or going too fast for the conditions; in which case new or old tyres wont save you from understeering.
I honestly wouldnt worry about it too much, as the Goodyears part worn will still be better than some new harder compound tyres. Just drive safe 😃

· Registered
2021 Mercedes AMG CLA 35 Premium
2,489 Posts
It is recommended to put new tyres on the rear because understeer is much easier to control than oversteer and therefore safer for the vast majority of drivers, however in this case with the rears being "like new" it should make little or no difference.

Well done on getting 25000 miles out of your front tyres :1a: and yes what a potential rip off by your Ford dealer. :thumbsdown:

· Registered
4,433 Posts
Understand it wouldn't/shouldn't happen in an ideal world, however accidents do happen. Was thinking earlier today about this, oh what an interesting life I lead. But decided I'd prefer to understeer head first into a tree rather than hit it at the same speed sideways if I had to choose between them.

While a nearly new looking tyre will make less difference than a tyre with 3/4mm of tread left on it, I'd guess the tyre fitter would swap rears to front FOC, although there is a chance of damage to the rims from the air gun.

Sorry for my OCD :eek:

· Banned
5,095 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Does anyone know what the difference is between the two versions of the Good Year eagle F1 tyres? I am also looking to swap my front tyres and looking on the AA tyres website there looks to be two types:

1. GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 A2 V1

2. GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 2 R1

The Asymmetric tyre looks to have better wet grip but from the pictures i cannot tell the difference....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.