Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good eve guys, im after some help, i recently got my st and was smooth as a whistle. i prep'd for my 250 mile journey to work and i set off all good and well, but then 20 miles down the road the car started to vibrate, not violently but you can feel it in the plastic door cards and on the arm rest, this progressivly got stronger over the duration of the journey??? i then parked up at work no having to drive the car again until tues night, when i did i set off nice and slowly can i could hear a loud thumping nosie on rotation of the wheels and again it get louder when i speed up to 70-80 mph and it becomes outrageuously loud and higher speeds,

Any ideas guys? thanks.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Could be a drive shaft / cv joint worn do you get a clonk when you pull away or reverse? Failing that it could be either clutch or gearbox related? Get it to a garage and get it checked.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Audi S3 Sportsback
8,082 Posts
Thats a very similar thing as i had when the c/v joint went . The whole car vibrated violently as well .....

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
yep, sounds like the driveshaft cv joint. on another subject 250 miles to work!
i struggle to make the 3mile trip to work without turning arround and coming home!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeh mate its a killer, i live in north yorkshire and work just east of ipswich (army) so i quite abit of traveling. the noise sounds like its from the rear, but it really does sound like it could be the cv joint, how much do you think im lookin at for one?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Audi S3 Sportsback
8,082 Posts
When i had both of my driveshafts replaced it came to over £1000
. As far as i know the joint is not a replacement item on it's own . The O/S shaft is dearer because it's much longer

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
ford don't list a cv joint for the st mate,just a replacement driveshaft as far as im aware,
hopefully it wont be this, and end up a cheeper fix, cause i think a driveshaft is circa £400

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(Gardener @ 14 Jan 2010, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is something i had in the room next to me the night before Ford Fair at Furzton Lake
. Me and the other half had a job to sleep with all that noise

were builders doing some renovations?
or perhaps someone doin a bit of sausage jockeying!

·
Registered
662 Posts
QUOTE(Gardener @ 14 Jan 2010, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is something i had in the room next to me the night before Ford Fair at Furzton Lake

I hope that didn't cost next door £400 for a CV joint aferwards

·
Registered
13,922 Posts

I heard it was the swingers in the room 3 Ben.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
QUOTE(tidy_addict @ 14 Jan 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yeh mate its a killer, i live in north yorkshire and work just east of ipswich (army) so i quite abit of traveling. the noise sounds like its from the rear, but it really does sound like it could be the cv joint, how much do you think im lookin at for one?

That will be Colchester then

Sounds tyre related to me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts