Ford Focus ST Forum banner

This week my turbo went stututuBANG

Tags
turbo
3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Abrown19ST 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So this week my turbo went BANG, this is my second Focus MK4 ST after my first car had problems that i have been told only 3 cars in all of europe had (that was a very long process to get sorted)

i was one of the first customers to collect their Focus ST, lifted mine on the 18th of july last year, from day 1 it had an issue. basically after a drive and the car getting up to temperature, if i was to stop say at the shop, when i would get back in to the car, a warning would flash up "drive control malfunction, drive modes not available" which meant i couldnt use any mode except for normal. which was kind of annoying seeing as it is a hot hatch which is designed for sporty driving. i left it a couple of days to see if it was just first week jitters for the car, it was not.

took it to my local dealership who told me plugged it in and said that there was no updates available yet so they would notify ford and see what they got back. a month goes by and no news so i bring it in again, they do the same and notify ford of the issue and ask them for a fix. couple weeks go by, no fix yet, i ring them back and they go back to ford again who then decide to send an engineer out to have a look at it. at this point im starting to get :censored: off. engineer sees the issue, does some tests and goes on his merry way. many back and forth emails are exchanged between ford and the dealership who kept in constant contact with me and i am told the whole code needs to be written for the car which will take months and after 4 months of owning a car which does not work as intended im really :censored: off and decide i just want it replaced despite ford trying to give me some free services to hold onto it until they could fix it (privilege customer so normally dont even make it to their first service)

after 5 months, in december i finally received my new focus st, and now after just 3000 miles on monday my turbo went BANG. overtaking some traffic on a dual carriageway and i just lost all boost and a weird noise coming from the engine bay when the car would be starting to boost. instant thought was an intercooler pipe has come off, so got home and had a look, certainly nothing visible. call my dealership the next day and they tell me to call AA and get it recovered for them to have a look at, courtesy car provided etc. fast forward to today and get a phone call to say they will be extending the courtesy car as it is in fact the turbo which has failed. part in stock in germany but 5 days working days delivery and a day or 2 to fit. now i am really happy with how the dealership handled this but i am starting to wonder if i am cursed.

i am seriously considering going back to a MK8 Fiesta ST which i had before the focus and absolutely adored and i didnt have a single issue with that car.

Anyways, that is my MK4 ST story

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Modern cars are wonders of engineering on the edge so to me failures like this isn't particularly surprising but...

I want to believe ford are better than it being a common occurrence and will say you're somewhat cursed.

Although being an early adopter usually has more teething problems which does skew the odds against you.

Hopefully once they've got everything fixed it'll be plain sailing from here on

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
sorry to hear this! That is rotten luck. I got mine in September and have had a rough idle at cold since Jan. Tried to book into my local dealership (Evans Halshaw) but they kept messing me about with other work that was required. It seemed to sort itself out for a month or so, then last month started rough idling at cold again. Spluttering (much like the mk3 RS issues owners were having)... 2.3 in the ST, coincidence? Of course, Covid means that no dealership will carry out the warranty work until everything settles. So now its on the drive and Im not using it. Instead Im driving a 60hp Polo. Hopefully, when the dealerships open up again I can get it in for warranty work (willing to travel 25 miles to avoid all local Evans Halshaw dealerships). Havent seen many on the road at all. Hopefully, this isnt going to be the next big Ford recall.

#7 ·
I am having the same issue with drive modes malfunctioning. Took to ford and they things its related to one of the adaptive shocks but thats been on back order. Hopefully comes soon or will have to complain as well.

Nick
Hopefully that sorts it for you, in my case they hadnt a clue what was wrong and were having to completely re write the code for the car which was going to take months, they had even been communicating to teams across the world to try resolve but I gave up and just wanted a working car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.