Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening guys, new here norally found hanging about VAG forums.

Currently ripping around in a Stage 3 tuned 1.4TSI(twincharged) Fabia vRS, currently the only one in the country, bloody quick little motor, 220hp/ton, but its too small and we need/want something bigger.

Im looking at either an 2.0T Octavia vRS Estate or a Focus ST Estate.

I had the Octavia vRS hatchback before i bought the Fabia and had it pretty heavily modified. Its a great car, but ive also been there and done it, so im looking at the Focus ST as a new project.

Ive thrown the emails off to find out prices for a PX deal. Im going to book a test drive, but ultimately im here to read about the tunability etc of this new engine and find out what/where the weak points of the new ST are.

Sy

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Simon

The engine in the Mk3 ST isn't as tuneable as the Mk2 without upgrading the turbo as it's pretty much at the limit anyway. Without changing the turbo you can increase the power up to 300bhp, with a new turbo about 330 - 340. You're also restricted by the fact that the exhaust manifold on these Ecoboost engines is part of the head and not a separate part that can be changed.

The only weak point I've found so far is axle tramping when making 'enthusiastic' gear changes from 1st to 2nd, this can be cured with an uprated lower engine mount or (as I'm doing) controlling your right foot a bit better.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Stupidly for tuners, I would imagine there's a good reason for it technically. Or at least I'd hope there was!
Who knows, but all that heat going into the head can't have been thought up with car enthusiasts in mind. The only thing I can think of is cost implications, it'll have been cheaper that way or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Who knows, but all that heat going into the head can't have been thought up with car enthusiasts in mind. The only thing I can think of is cost implications, it'll have been cheaper that way or something like that.
I don't think the Ecoboost engine was built with enthusiasts in mind full stop tbh. The reason for the built-in manifold is for quicker warm up times - it's all about efficiency unfortunately.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Simon

The engine in the Mk3 ST isn't as tuneable as the Mk2 without upgrading the turbo as it's pretty much at the limit anyway. Without changing the turbo you can increase the power up to 300bhp, with a new turbo about 330 - 340. You're also restricted by the fact that the exhaust manifold on these Ecoboost engines is part of the head and not a separate part that can be changed.

The only weak point I've found so far is axle tramping when making 'enthusiastic' gear changes from 1st to 2nd, this can be cured with an uprated lower engine mount or (as I'm doing) controlling your right foot a bit better.
Axle tramp is common on loads of vehicles, and is always cured by a lower engine mount, so thats no issue. No doubt vibratechniks have one sorted already.

Had a look at remaps. Looks like bluefin are the only option at the moment with peak gains of about 30hp, but id rather wait for a more "speciailist tuner" to devlop one as im not a fan of bluefin maps after having one previously. Once intakes, intercoolers and exhausts hit the market, surely there will be plenty off leeway, although if the manifold is a pump design EGTs will be high and limit everythng.

HAs anyone gone the tuning route yet? There dont seem to be many threads regarding tuning this engine yet.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
The only person on here who I know has done anything has used the Bluefin map to get 285bhp. There are intakes, intercoolers and exhausts already on the market, but the engine just isn't capable of more than 300bhp without a bigger turbo, Ford themselves have pretty much said so.

You might see more threads if you joined as a member, as you won't see technical sections as a non-member. There have been several discussions on tuning and the limitations of this engine. Membership will also provide access to group buys, sponsor discounts, etc so well worth the tenner.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im out of touch with the ford market these days. Which websites are best for aftermarket ford parts?

If bluyefin have managed 285hp, id expect other tuners to manage a few Hp more. Bluefin dont run their maps as aggressive as most other tuners(at least not in the VAg scene) they are almost always the lowest performing of remaps on VAGs.

If it needs a bigger turbo, then it needs a bigger turbo, that wont be too much of an issue. What sort of power are we looking at with the turbo upgrdes? what turbo are peope looking at?

With the new 2.0TSI engine in the Octavia vRS adding a K04 turbo charger, intake and downpipe will see you over 370Hp on dyno dynamics rollers.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Pumaspeed are one of the companies who offer an aftermarket turbo - linky. As I previously said the theoretical limit of the engine is 340bhp, but even with this new turbo you don't get that high. The Ecoboost wasn't built with tuners in mind at all, it's all about efficiency.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats a bit of a bummer. Its really put me off this now, although it would save me considerable amounts of money if its not worth it lol

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
There's two things that put some people off the Mk3 - the first is the lack of a three door version, the second is the tuneability. It's a lovely car to be in and to drive, but if you're looking to seriously increase the power then the options are costly and ultimately limited unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
And also stupidly designed by the looks of that swan neck!
Just to throw this out there. The eco boost engine based on Mazda's L3 engine, so I wonder if the DuraTec HE/Mazda L3 head would fit onto the turbo block? There is aa L3 engine that also uses VVT so that could be retained. If it all goes together and work that could be a huge advance with exhaust manifold choice etc.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Just to throw this out there. The eco boost engine based on Mazda's L3 engine, so I wonder if the DuraTec HE/Mazda L3 head would fit onto the turbo block? There is aa L3 engine that also uses VVT so that could be retained. If it all goes together and work that could be a huge advance with exhaust manifold choice etc.
I'm sure if it can be done someone will start selling it soon lol.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I think the reason its been designed and made as it has been is because theres no room to fit a manifold in there!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts