Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Newbie to this forum

I'm toying with the idea of buying an ST, I like the look of the ST but I'm just wondering about the performance/handling/running cost side of things?

I would probably be looking for an ST-2 or 3 in blue around the 12k mark.

comments advice welcome

·
Registered
10 Posts
In a nutshell, good performance out of the box but very tuneable, not nimble as far as GTi class cars go in my view, oh...and they drink petrol.

·
1,285 Posts
Performance, for a car of this class is excellent, there is so much scope to improve an already powerful engine!

Handling, well, get it lowered on Eibach's and you will see it handle SO well!

Running costs.... depends how you drive it!!! The insurance varies, depending on mods etc!

Overall, I spend EVERY single spare minute driving mine, yeah it costs me in petrol, but its well worth it!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
to the forum

The ST is a great car and you can do a hell of a lot to them (even if you promise yourself that you aren't going to mod it
) The down side with any performance car it that it is thirsty but this is in direct proportion to how heavy your right foot is... many see 27mpg on average with their STs which isn't bad going for oodles of fun

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the reply Gammo

I'm use to the petrol addiction as I'm currently driving this ..........

·
Registered
973 Posts
QUOTE(JimA-RB320 @ 12 Nov 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers for the reply Gammo

That is one stunning shiny car

·
1,285 Posts
QUOTE(JimA-RB320 @ 12 Nov 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers for the reply Gammo

That is one STUNNING car!!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chaz Im kinda into detailing and have done a few cars over the years. The RB was in a bit of a swirly mess when i bought her
heres a 50/50 shot of the rear quarter, left machine polished - right untouched

But after some TLC she looks a whole lot better I think she's wearing this in the first photo

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Viper,

I'm thinking about it mate the RB is a fantastic car and I love it to bits but I hate parking it anywhere & the cops seem to have an anti scooby attitude as Ive had the blue lights flashed at me & followed a cpl of times.

Im just thinking the ST might be a less hardcore option & it would probably cost a little less cash to run

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(coxy1978 @ 12 Nov 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Get yourself to a local meet and i'm sure with the cars there in all different types if power they will take you out.

Cheers Coxy I might just do that Ill have a look in the regional section mate for meets

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
I am a bit involved with later model Volvo stuff myself and am undoubtedly the oldest bloke here.

I have had my ST for nearly 3 years now with about 40,000 miles done in my ownership. I have modified it considerably with stuff that I have historically offered to the similar smaller Volvo T5 owners. Now 296bhp, big brake kit and stuff like that. It rarely misses a beat.

I have to say I have enjoyed this car like no other on the road and am in danger of getting into my grave a bit earlier than anticipated or having to take an enforced period on a bus..... they are a hoot!

You have got the very best of Ford's chassis abilities combined with a Swedish built Volvo designed engine of a high quality that is usually found in £30,000 plus Volvos plus a Volvo designed but now Getrag/Dana/Volvo German built 6 speed box.

The engine needs to be treated with some informed respect when going for high outputs and the g'box might be a bit clunky to some, the clutch/dual mass flywheel has its torque limits, but overall a fine piece of kit.

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The biggest thing you will miss going from the Scooby to the ST mate is the 4wd. Its astounding the difference it makes going from 4wd to fwd.

I went from an Audi TT to my ST, and I cannot believe how much I miss the quattro, especially this time of year. I've got my ST fairly heavily modified, so it has a LOT of torque, and it just wheel spins all the time, ESP flashing etc, unless you swap to a weaker less torquey map for the winter. Even on the driest summer day I could wheelspin in 4th gear on my strongest map. The torque and power is useless unless you have traction and can get the power down. The traction on the ST when you're modified is fairly poor. On a standard ST you will not notice it so much, as the power isn't there.

I love my ST, but all I'll say is my next car I am DEFINITELY no question going back to 4wd/quattro, hopefully with a newer Audi TT or S3..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice guys Ive decided to stick with the RB320 at the moment but the ST is defo a fav of mine and you never know I might get the urge again in the new year.

This looks like a great forum & you can always tell how well thought of a model of car is by its owners club.

cheers

Jim A

·
Registered
204 Posts
did you stick the detailing thread of the rb when you got it on detialingworld or Scottishscoobies?

where you from bud and good decsion btw RB320`s rock my boss just done one thro his buisness www.jkpdetail.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE(JimA-RB320 @ 12 Nov 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Newbie to this forum

I'm toying with the idea of buying an ST, I like the look of the ST but I'm just wondering about the performance/handling/running cost side of things?

I would probably be looking for an ST-2 or 3 in blue around the 12k mark.

comments advice welcome

HELLO MATE. i could certainly help you with your purchase !!!! i have an st2 with 21k on the clock. 3dr in colorado red. pristine condition no alloy or paint damage!!!! just had second dealer service and taxed till april 2010. need to sell as want a car suitable for baby girl!!
will do you a deal at 11.5k!!!!!!! give me a ring on 07787527401 its craig. cheers mate ( car advertised on pistonheads)

·
Registered
237 Posts
QUOTE(JimA-RB320 @ 18 Nov 2009, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the advice guys Ive decided to stick with the RB320 at the moment but the ST is defo a fav of mine and you never know I might get the urge again in the new year.

This looks like a great forum & you can always tell how well thought of a model of car is by its owners club.

cheers

Jim A

Think youve deffo made the right choice in keeping the RB320 absolutely stunning piece of kit,love all the fine details to commerate Richard Burns,the limited number and the fact they are unlikely to drop in value.

One thing you might want to think about though is the general running costs Subaru do know how to charge for parts and servicing!
Priced up fitting a set of front and rear pads on one of these very recently was a tad shy of £600!

I`d say get a Focus ST in addition to the RB320 and see how they compare - barring that lend me the RB!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts