Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,397 Posts
I've never understood the fixation that 5 doors are necessary because you have kids in the back.
I had twins in the back of my (3 Door) ST from when they were babies and there was never the slightest issue getting them in and out. In fact, I found it a bonus that there was room to get into the the back of the car (and even close the door if it was raining) whilst they were being strapped in place. You couldn't do that with a 5 door.

·
Registered
Grumpy Pete - Mk 2 PFL CP320
230 Posts
Try putting a backward facing ISOFIX seat in a 2 door car when your 63 and have a bad back….I have a 5 door ST (better looking than the 2 door in grey 😊) and a 2 door BMW and thankfully the 2 door is a convertible,,,

…easy to get the seat in the 5 door…very hard work to to get it in the back of the 2 door unless the roof is down…

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, Collins CP2
1,523 Posts
When I found mine it was get the best I could get in a colour and condition/mileage for the amount I had, 3 door or 5 door made no difference to. I was just the best available to me.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Have a search for the launch photos of the Mk2 ST in 2005 and you will find they were all 3-door cars, as were the press cars. This was no accident but the fact that Ford knew the 3-door was the sportier-looking edition.

The Mk1 and Mk2 Focus RS were both hot-hatches, not sports cars, but were only built as 3-doors.

For motorsport, where available, the 3-door versions of Ford hatchbacks were used.

Back in the day, all the hot-hatches that were desired were 3-doors, and anyone who bought a 5-door and modified it were ridiculed as it would never look as good.

·
Registered
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,749 Posts
I prefer the look of the 3 door and never been hassled by it's "impracticality". Apart from when someone parks too close and can't open the long door.

But the world changes and people want machines that makes life easy. Or easier.

Can you imagine needing to get out of the car when dropping off someone... Oh the inconvenience.

And limiting choice makes it easier and cheaper to produce so win win.

Unless you're a minority who prefers a practical 3 door and a sports car can't fulfill everything you need from the machine.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts