Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
ST225 modified
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The very last 3-door hot-hatch, the Fiesta ST, has been chopped...

All hot-hatches used to have a 3-door variant as they were lighter and stiffer. All the ones used in rallying were the 3-door. And they looked more sporty too. A sad day. 馃槩

Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, CP320
Lighter and stiffer but still made of tinfoil back in the day.
No point making a 3 door if it's not getting purchased, as for better looking, the profile is identical it's just a more practical way of using it, and easier to sell.
A true drivers car has the power going to the rear wheels, sadly that is a dying breed unless you want a German car 馃槳

Registered
ST225 modified
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now that the Fiesta WRC rally car has made way for the (5-door SUV) Puma hybrid Rally1 car, the last reason for Ford to build a 3-door ST has gone.

Like the world-car Mk3 Focus ST in 2013, making a 5-door only hatch is a money-saving action by Ford... and to hell with what some buyers prefer.

Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
I went on Good Friday to my dealership to enquire about the Fiesta and had noticed on the Ford Official website I couldn鈥檛 spec a 3 door Fiesta ST.
Luckily they had ordered about 5 cars in In 3 door when they found out that Ford were stopping doing the 3 door. So on Tuesday after Easter they rang me to tell me that I could add the winter pack as it was not built so went there Sat to do the deal and the salesman showed Me that on Friday afternoon Ford had increased the price by 拢1200 and there was nothing they could do about it as Ford had taken everything off line.

So I鈥檓 sticking with the RS :)

Premium Member
MK2 facelift st 2000 puma millennium Chinese 125cc scrambler
Now that the Fiesta WRC rally car has made way for the (5-door SUV) Puma hybrid Rally1 car, the last reason for Ford to build a 3-door ST has gone.

Like the world-car Mk3 Focus ST in 2013, making a 5-door only hatch is a money-saving action by Ford... and to hell with what some buyers prefer.
Funny that the wrc version of the puma only has 3 doors though.

Registered
ST225 modified
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny that the wrc version of the puma only has 3 doors though.
The Rally1 cars dont use a road car as the base of the car anymore.

In the Ford car, it just uses the Puma panels attached to a spaceframe chassis so it looks somewhat like the road Puma.

With the vents for the hybrid battery cooling and brake cooling the rear 'doors' are actually there but just as panels.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Premium Member
I know, im just saying it's not really a true representation of the so called "puma" it's a space frame with some panels and headlights to look vaguely similar to the awful road car. But I suppose ford have to make it look similar to something they sell. I miss the days where you could buy the car they were racing that had the same body, the same engine albeit a road going version of it.

Registered
ST225 modified
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Puma Rally1 looks good and nothing like the road car. A lot of that is down to the way it looks like a 3-door. Further proof that this is the more sporty configuration for a performance car.

Imagine going into a Ford dealer with a photo of a Puma Rally1 and asking to order the the 3-door Puma ST road car ! :D

Registered
ive always preferred 3 drs as they always look better and with the doors being longer they are easier to get in and out of,however having owned 5dr focus's now for the last 5 yrs they are a lot more practical especially if anyones travelling in the back

Registered
ST225 modified
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is true, but they should give people the choice.

I've had loads of hot-hatches over the last 30 years and all have been 3-door's. Now there aren't any new ones being made. Every other little car niche seems to be catered for, but not this.

Registered
I wouldn't ever buy or want a run of the mill hatchback like a focus or fiesta with 3 doors, think most look **** and are inconvenient and awkward. I am obviously in the vast majority with that opinion. Sports cars are different, low and sleek and built as a 2 door. You don't buy them for rear seat use. Boxy hatchbacks with 3 doors just look like there is a chunk missing. Maybe apart from Fiesta which is sleek enough to get away with it And I doubt very much 3 door STs are stiffer with that sheet of paper thin metal over a rigid door frame.

Premium Member
I wouldn't ever buy or want a run of the mill hatchback like a focus or fiesta with 3 doors, think most look **** and are inconvenient and awkward. I am obviously in the vast majority with that opinion. Sports cars are different, low and sleek and built as a 2 door. You don't buy them for rear seat use. Boxy hatchbacks with 3 doors just look like there is a chunk missing. Maybe apart from Fiesta which is sleek enough to get away with it And I doubt very much 3 door STs are stiffer with that sheet of paper thin metal over a rigid door frame.
On the contrary - 5 door Focus ST / RS look like Ford has just stuck a sporty body kit on a family car without any real thought or understanding. They got away with it on the Mondeo ST24, ST200, ST220 etc due to their bigger size and road presence but it really doesn't work on the Focus.

I've owned my 3 door for four years now and in that time have only carried a rear seat passenger on a handful of occasions, probably less than five times. Certainly not inconvenient. If you need the extra doors I'd suggest you have bought the wrong car in the first place.

Registered
On the contrary - 5 door Focus ST / RS look like Ford has just stuck a sporty body kit on a family car without any real thought or understanding. They got away with it on the Mondeo ST24, ST200, ST220 etc due to their bigger size and road presence but it really doesn't work on the Focus.

I've owned my 3 door for four years now and in that time have only carried a rear seat passenger on a handful of occasions, probably less than five times. Certainly not inconvenient. If you need the extra doors I'd suggest you have bought the wrong car in the first place.
That's why they are called " hot hatch" I think they have it spot on. They are hatchbacks not sports cars and never were or will be. Subtle styling improvements but vast performance and handling improvements for the average man or woman. That's not the debate it's about 3 doors via 5 and why the vast majority prefer 5. I just cannot see any advantage of 3, not looks and certainly not practicality.

Premium Member
I feel the vast majority "prefer" them because the wife wears the trousers and says you can only have it if it's practical. But even then for the most part on the mk2 2 more doors and still only 4 seats.

Registered
I feel the vast majority "prefer" them because the wife wears the trousers and says you can only have it if it's practical. But even then for the most part on the mk2 2 more doors and still only 4 seats.
Careful, not allowed to suggest things like that anymore. My wife has her own ST presently.

Was trying to remember the last 2 door I had, it was a long time ago, a Cougar 2.5 and the wife's last one was a ST170. Before those it was a Capri MK1series 2 1600GT in late 70's. I know M3,s are more valuable than M4's by about 拢3k on F80's like for like plus I think the M3"s look far better too.

Premium Member
Careful? What are you talking about?
I stopped being interested in the m3 after the e36 after that they went a bit you know family orientated. Just because the current m3 is more valuable than the M4, doesn't mean its better.
Either way it's all personal preference, i personally despise the 5 door version of the mk2 st and wouldn't own a 5 door hot hatch, which is why I went for the 3 door st and original puma. Funnily enough we've never had any issues with practicality, when my son was born we had a 3 door mk4 fiesta and a 2 door Porsche and never struggled and even in the small 3 door puma we all fit and can get in and out easily.

Registered
Careful? What are you talking about?
I stopped being interested in the m3 after the e36 after that they went a bit you know family orientated. Just because the current m3 is more valuable than the M4, doesn't mean its better.
Either way it's all personal preference, i personally despise the 5 door version of the mk2 st and wouldn't own a 5 door hot hatch, which is why I went for the 3 door st and original puma. Funnily enough we've never had any issues with practicality, when my son was born we had a 3 door mk4 fiesta and a 2 door Porsche and never struggled and even in the small 3 door puma we all fit and can get in and out easily.
It's all opinions and they all differ depending on which you spent your money on. This is probably one of the only places you will find this 3/5 door topic being discussed, doubt anyone elsewhere gives a stuff. I don't like the E36, too boxy and not a pretty car. Not keen on the E90 either, BMW's styling crash years, they're back in them again now. The E46 M3 is a beauty (for the time) in my eyes, only second to the F80 on looks. G thing isn't worth remembering the number, ruined with grotesque front end and slush box and too refined, was invited in to take one for a day so why not. Yes I agree F80 M3 isn't better dynamically than a F82 M4 as they are mechanically identical . I think the F80's will the most wanted classic M3/4 in the future. M3 just looks more the part with the more aggressive wheel arches.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts