Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys, been a member of this forum for a number of years now, I've been lucky enough to have owned 2 focus STs previously, both a pre facelift & a facelift, both ST3's & have enjoyed both cars greatly.
I had them from new, both ended up being modified. The facelift in particular was my favourite, really liked the looks & it being one of the run out cars (2010, 60 plate) it came with more or less every option.
Unfortunately it was written off last month in a hit & run crash on the way home from a rolling road day at Pumabuild in Birmingham.....thankfully my fiancee got out of it unscathed, I was injured but I'm getting better.
After 2 weeks of trying to get my head around what happened to us & generally bouncing off the walls at home I decided to go & have a look at a few dealerships & see what was about. At the time we were both hoping my car could be repaired, so it really was just something to get me up & out again....
To cut a long story short, we ended up arranging a test drive at one of the main dealers in Birmingham...
The following Saturday we took out a 62 plate ST2 hatchback in white, ( my previous STs have always been dark coloured, so this was something else that put me off this car!) Both me & my better half were honestly ready to pull this new version to bits, like I said, had a lot of previous experience with the mk2 & this thing wasn't Going to score with us.....
How wrong were we?! What a cracking car. The road holding, the power delivery, the build quality, everything was a real pleasant suprise.
The steering was so nicely weighted & the variable ratio rack were very impressive, as was the turn in.
Both my mk2s had the quaiffe atb diff fitted, to be honest I was expecting that to be instantly noticeably missing, but the car drove very, very well without.
Just wanted to give you my opinion, after reading the posts & comments about the new ST, genuinely give it a try, its suprised me big time!
Tony.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice review chap.
Glad your feelin better after your accident.
Did the dibble ever catch the
that t boned you and left the scene?
Hi Stevie, no mate, the police are supposedly still investigating.....
Got to add to my little review, the interior is a big step up from either of my last STs...
Both my of my previous 225s were 3 doors too....if you can get over the no 3 door thing then I honestly think this new one is a more than worthy successor to the mk2.... Each to their own and all that but for a out of the box stock car to drive that well was a real suprise.
I'm still waiting for the insurance to get sorted out after last months crash, so I'm not in a position to make any decisions as to what I'll have next....I've picked up a run around for work etc to keep me mobile for the time being... It's a 1998 mondeo estate, 2 previous owners, clean, straight & so far suprisingly reliable & comfortable....one more thing, its also a ST24 2.5 V6....the first of the STs....& its got 5 doors too.....

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
Glad your on the mend fella, the important thing is that your both OK after the accident. The next important thing is to cut off the balls of the nob who caused it all!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Cheers Sean, I'd love to have a little chat with the Er person that left us in this mess....
Still waiting for the insurance to cough up, got figures now & gap too so that should keep our options open as to going for either a late RS or the new ST....
The dealership we had the test drive from has put a tempting deal together, if we go that route then we would take delivery of the new car in our spec in early march....feels like a long way off at the moment....
The only thing that keeps bothering me is insurance....I've got maximum (9 years plus on paper, actually 16 years) protected no claims, but the crash last month is looking like its going to end up on me if the person that hit us isn't traced....
Not been in this position before, have been told that my broker might not cover a new ST due to value & the claim that is still outstanding....
Hope the cost of insurance doesn't stop us getting back into a fast ford again.....

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
Cheers Sean, I'd love to have a little chat with the Er person that left us in this mess....
Still waiting for the insurance to cough up, got figures now & gap too so that should keep our options open as to going for either a late RS or the new ST....
The dealership we had the test drive from has put a tempting deal together, if we go that route then we would take delivery of the new car in our spec in early march....feels like a long way off at the moment....
The only thing that keeps bothering me is insurance....I've got maximum (9 years plus on paper, actually 16 years) protected no claims, but the crash last month is looking like its gong to end up on me if the person that hit us isn't traced....
Not been in this position before, have been told that my broker might not cover a new ST due to value & the claim that is still outstanding....
Hope the cost of insurance doesn't stop us getting back into a fast ford again.....
Hi Tony mate, sorry the dibble haven't caught the
who hit you!

However do NOT let the insurance shysters lump the blame on you!
step 1, Complain,
step 2, Complain louder.
step 3, http://www.financial.../complaints.htm

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks Stevie, thats some useful information in that link.
Once Christmas & New year is out of the way we will be making a decision on a replacement car, once that's done it'll be the insurance that'll be next on the list I think mate....

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
Thanks Stevie, thats some useful information in that link.
Once Christmas & New year is out of the way we will be making a decision on a replacement car, once that's done it'll be the insurance that'll be next on the list I think mate.....
No worries mate.
You don't let them make you foot the bill or suffer because of some other
!
The Ombudsman is sure to find in your favour..
They have a fund to help if your hit by an uninsured driver so they are bound to have procedures in place for hit and run also

You were in no way to blame so be very firm with your insurance.
Best of luck Tony

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear about what happened and glad you are both OK. Have a look at http://www.mib.org.u...Driver FAQs.htm. This is probably what Stevie was referring to above when he mentioned there is a fund available. It's another avenue open to you to help sort out the mess you have been left in.

Hope it's all sorted to your satisfaction without dragging on too long.

Anyway wishing you both a Merry Christmas and a great new year.

Mike

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very fair and informative review Tony. I sincerely hope it all works out ok for you mate.
Thanks Nick, if things go the way we hope we may well be in the market for focus parts again...
Never had the chance to get that front splitter I wanted for my black facelift off you....
Do you think you will be developing some goodies for the mk3 at some point mate?

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Thanks Mike, hope you & yours have a great Christmas.
Will be keeping you guys informed on how things go with this situation, thanks again mate.

Thanks Nick, if things go the way we hope we may well be in the market for focus parts again...
Never had the chance to get that front splitter I wanted for my black facelift off you....
Do you think you will be developing some goodies for the mk3 at some point mate?
Yeah I was devastated for you mate when I saw what had happened. It hurts when its your pride & joy. I had a car stolen when I was younger and it really upset me and the more my friends said its only a piece of metal, the more I realised they didnt understand what committment goes into modifying and personalising your car. It becomes part of you, an extension to your personality. I feel for you mate. The MK3 - well the answer to that one is yes but not yet. Until they are out of warranty there will not be sufficient numbers wanting to bolt pieces of fiberglass to there cars - or am I wrong? There isnt much room for a Diffuser, although I think a small one around the exaust would look ok. But a Splitter will definitely be on the cards.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice review Tony, so you're tempted then??
Thanks fellas, sorry about the delay in replying, been a busy few weeks to say the least!
How things stand at present is....
The insurance have paid out as have Gap insurance,
The police have been [email protected]#?%!$ useless to be honest....not going to go into details on an open forum, but to say my respect for the police has taken a bit of a knock is a BIG understatement!
I'm currently in the process of selling off my stock of mk2 spares, both factory & aftermarket....need to draw a line under what happened & make a fresh start....
Also clearing out my garage at home....

Got something on the way to replace my last ST, will let you guys know when it arrives....

Thanks again for the positive comments & support you guys have given us, really has been appreciated.
Tony.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts