Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In some ways, I feel like a bit of a fraud. I'd said from the off that I wanted an ST-3, that I'd miss the leather seats if I did without. Anyway, I digress. Having never driven an ST before, I went and had a look at a local ST-2 today, and despite having no intention of buying it, though it was worth a look. It was keenly priced, a 55 reg car with just over 40k on the clock, one owner and full service history, all for £9300, and from a trader as well, so you'd get a bit of warranty into the bargain.

Took her out for a ten-fifteen minute drive, and first thought, (much as with the ST-3 I'd briefly sat in last week) was how well the seats grip you. Secondly, i'd been a little concerned that there might be some detectable turbo lag, and that it might feel a bit torque-light low down the rev range... (it's all relative I suppose, but I've gotten used to driving a naturally aspirated 3.0 V6, and that very lazy low-down torque has left an impression) ...I needn't have worried on that front. The car felt nice and torquey at low engine speed, and I couldn't even tell the turbo was there. The steering felt a little heavy, missing a little bit of feel, but the brakes were progressive and driving around a built up area was fine.

Onto a bit of dual carriage way, and a chance to stretch the girl's legs. Well, at least there would be, except that the salesman was in the back of the car, and the other half was in the passenger seat, so a balls out nailing of the throttle was out. Put it into third, got the engine round to just over 3000 rpm, and that was 70mph. Into sixth. Not very exciting, all a little underwhelming.

I came off the dual carriageway, heading back into the city. Still two lanes, still 60mph limit. Oh, there's a bus in the way. Other lane's clear, third gear, foot down... at about 4000 rpm, I felt the turbo for the first time. The next 2000rpm were demolished in an instant, the bus long gone. Pulled back into the dealership grinning like a loon. It wasn't until I got back in my Pug that I appreciated the feel of the ST, the Pug's steering suddenly vague and light, the brakes woollen, the gear change imprecise, and the seats unsupportive.

In summary, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I quite liked it. It didn't feel as fast as I'd have expected given that it's about 25bhp on my Pug and weighs perhaps 150-200 kilos less(though I guess being three up might negate that advantage for the most part) , but it felt a lot better screwed together, and when it did come, the hit of acceleration took me by surprise a little. I just wish I'd had the chance to throw it at a few more interesting bits of road.

And no, I still didn't buy it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
QUOTE(Simianwonder @ 20 Feb 2010, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In some ways, I feel like a bit of a fraud. I'd said from the off that I wanted an ST-3, that I'd miss the leather seats if I did without. Anyway, I digress. Having never driven an ST before, I went and had a look at a local ST-2 today, and despite having no intention of buying it, though it was worth a look. It was keenly priced, a 55 reg car with just over 40k on the clock, one owner and full service history, all for £9300, and from a trader as well, so you'd get a bit of warranty into the bargain.

Took her out for a ten-fifteen minute drive, and first thought, (much as with the ST-3 I'd briefly sat in last week) was how well the seats grip you. Secondly, i'd been a little concerned that there might be some detectable turbo lag, and that it might feel a bit torque-light low down the rev range... (it's all relative I suppose, but I've gotten used to driving a naturally aspirated 3.0 V6, and that very lazy low-down torque has left an impression) ...I needn't have worried on that front. The car felt nice and torquey at low engine speed, and I couldn't even tell the turbo was there. The steering felt a little heavy, missing a little bit of feel, but the brakes were progressive and driving around a built up area was fine.

Onto a bit of dual carriage way, and a chance to stretch the girl's legs. Well, at least there would be, except that the salesman was in the back of the car, and the other half was in the passenger seat, so a balls out nailing of the throttle was out. Put it into third, got the engine round to just over 3000 rpm, and that was 70mph. Into sixth. Not very exciting, all a little underwhelming.

I came off the dual carriageway, heading back into the city. Still two lanes, still 60mph limit. Oh, there's a bus in the way. Other lane's clear, third gear, foot down... at about 4000 rpm, I felt the turbo for the first time. The next 2000rpm were demolished in an instant, the bus long gone. Pulled back into the dealership grinning like a loon. It wasn't until I got back in my Pug that I appreciated the feel of the ST, the Pug's steering suddenly vague and light, the brakes woollen, the gear change imprecise, and the seats unsupportive.

In summary, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I quite liked it. It didn't feel as fast as I'd have expected given that it's about 25bhp on my Pug and weighs perhaps 150-200 kilos less(though I guess being three up might negate that advantage for the most part) , but it felt a lot better screwed together, and when it did come, the hit of acceleration took me by surprise a little. I just wish I'd had the chance to throw it at a few more interesting bits of road.

Hi mate, just out of interest have you driven a modded one yet? Complete different story, i think if you did you'd buy. The mountune package is exellent. 'Other modds available' Im sure someone in your ares would take you for a spin.

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(Simianwonder @ 20 Feb 2010, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In some ways, I feel like a bit of a fraud. I'd said from the off that I wanted an ST-3, that I'd miss the leather seats if I did without. Anyway, I digress. Having never driven an ST before, I went and had a look at a local ST-2 today, and despite having no intention of buying it, though it was worth a look. It was keenly priced, a 55 reg car with just over 40k on the clock, one owner and full service history, all for £9300, and from a trader as well, so you'd get a bit of warranty into the bargain.

go back and drive it again mate. without the wife & warn the salesman your gonna drive it properly.
he's not much of a salesman if he did'nt tell you to give it some, within legal limits of course! when you drive it properly you won't believe how good it is!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(STIOM @ 20 Feb 2010, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi mate, just out of interest have you driven a modded one yet? Complete different story, i think if you did you'd buy. The mountune package is exellent. 'Other modds available' Im sure someone in your ares would take you for a spin.

No, this was my first drive of any ST, and it was EVO's write up of their Mountune that made me want an ST! Immediately afterwards, I found myself considering that the difference in price between this ST-2 and a typical ST-3 would be about enough for the MT 260 package... so, how much do I want those leather seats?

QUOTE(stingy @ 20 Feb 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>go back and drive it again mate. without the wife & warn the salesman your gonna drive it properly.
he's not much of a salesman if he did'nt tell you to give it some, within legal limits of course! when you drive it properly you won't believe how good it is!

I can't see myself thrashing the thing around the city, with or without the missus, it's just a shame there aren't any decent driving roads, or many interesting corners to try without going several miles out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i think you've just answewed your own question!

Right get the salesman to let you borrow the ST for the weekend we'll get it on the boat and bring it to the island with no speed limits
i reckon you'd post him the money and get the car booked in for the mountune!

You wont find a better buy for the money, is that a good price for a 55 plate with 40k?

Mine was £12600 for an 07 with 15k

Keep me updated mate, your missus will hate this site soon as you'll be on it 24/7 like the rest of us

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(STIOM @ 20 Feb 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think you've just answewed your own question!

Right get the salesman to let you borrow the ST for the weekend we'll get it on the boat and bring it to the island with no speed limits

You wont find a better buy for the money, is that a good price for a 55 plate with 40k?

Mine was £12600 for an 07 with 15k

Keep me updated mate, your missus will hate this site soon as you'll be on it 24/7 like the rest of us

my missus feels the same

·
Registered
661 Posts
QUOTE(STIOM @ 20 Feb 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Right get the salesman to let you borrow the ST for the weekend we'll get it on the boat and bring it to the island with no speed limits

Ha! Somehow can't see them agreeing to that, but that'd be a hell of a weekend!

QUOTEYou wont find a better buy for the money, is that a good price for a 55 plate with 40k?

It's pretty keen, yeah, especially from a dealer. Looking around there are ST-3s available at a similar age / mileage for about ten grand, but those are private sales, so there'd be no guarantee with the car, and no finance option (which would mean taking out a personal loan) or back up, and dealers seem to be asking around eleven grand for an ST-3.

QUOTEMine was £12600 for an 07 with 15k

That seems remarkably low for an ST-2, though I have noticed that there is generally a premium for Blue and orange cars. Are the markets different in the Isle of?

QUOTEKeep me updated mate, your missus will hate this site soon as you'll be on it 24/7 like the rest of us

No doubt... I don't even own an ST yet, and I've paid a tenner for a years membership and find myself on here at least once a day!

·
Registered
269 Posts
So you just need the car now

as paddy says 'let the corn see the cob'

Yeah it was a good price and that was from a dealer with 6 months ford warranty left, we have spent 25k on company vans with this fella tho!! Everything is more expensive here.

Piston heads is good for a look. I like the blue but orange is'nt for me. Sea grey is perfect

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
my dealer has let me take numerous cars home for the weekend mate.
as long as you insure it, whats the problem!
in todays climate the customer should come first!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(STIOM @ 20 Feb 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Piston heads is good for a look. I like the blue but orange is'nt for me. Sea grey is perfect

I actually like the orange, but it's a bit too brash to live with, and I think you'd just end up with everyone trying to race you. I looked at a grey St-3 last week, but the colour didn't feel 'special' enough to me. Does that make sense?

QUOTE(stingy @ 20 Feb 2010, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>my dealer has let me take numerous cars home for the weekend mate.

I can ask...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I actually like the orange, but it's a bit too brash to live with, and I think you'd just end up with everyone trying to race you. I looked at a grey St-3 last week, but the colour didn't feel 'special' enough to me. Does that make sense?

Yeah it makes sense, the grey does'nt stand out where as the orange, white and blue does in my opinion.

Bit like the RS id love it in green with black wheels but id probably go for the white.

I like it suttle, until i put my foot down and the roar sound happens while overtaking a few cars 'not so suttle'

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would say to make sure you get the one you want, in the colour you want and at the right price. I almost rushed in and bought another car that in hindsight wasn't the one I wanted. It would have been a mistake. After seeking advice on this forum I stuck out for the one I wanted and I'm really glad I did...

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I would personally keep looking. Seems like you do want one. I got mine in september, Its a 56 plate ST-2 with 12k on the clock. also had some warrenty left, I payed £12k for that.

Les

·
Registered
661 Posts
QUOTE(Liz-whizz @ 21 Feb 2010, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How about the silver ST3 from Marshall Ford in Bury St Edmunds? 06 plate for £9999. Should be able to negotiate some meaningful warranty being a Ford main dealer. ST looks good in moondust silver.

That's a cracking price for an ST-3 from a dealer, but I can't get excited about the car in silver. Much as with the grey, it just doesn't feel 'special'.

QUOTE(NobbysNuts @ 21 Feb 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would say to make sure you get the one you want, in the colour you want and at the right price. I almost rushed in and bought another car that in hindsight wasn't the one I wanted. It would have been a mistake. After seeking advice on this forum I stuck out for the one I wanted and I'm really glad I did...

Yep, that's the plan.

QUOTE(Les @ 21 Feb 2010, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would personally keep looking. Seems like you do want one. I got mine in september, Its a 56 plate ST-2 with 12k on the clock. also had some warrenty left, I payed £12k for that.

Yeah, there are ST-3s out there in the spec I want and the price I want to pay, it'll just mean travelling a couple of hundred miles to see them and potentially waiting a couple of months for the right one to come along. That seems like an awfully long wait, especially as patience isn't one of my virtues; I want my ST now!

Ah well, it isn't all bad. I've still go to sell my 406, and sort out retention of my plate before I let myself get carried away. I effectively managed to lose a years no claims bonus last time around by changing cars ten months into a policy and then switching insurance companies. Needless to say that ten months suddenly counted for naught, and I'm at a similar stage now so don't wish to lose almost two years of potential NCB!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts