Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006, MK2, ST3 MD Silver
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was thinking about getting a diesel Mk3 ST next year to replace my old 1.8 TDCI. Are they any good and can you squeeze good power out them?
I need the derv version due to doing 20+k per year plus I couldn't do the dirty on my Mk2 by getting another petrol one.

The Mrs wants a BMW 2series but I don't really fancy BMWs.

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,509 Posts
Yeah they can be made more fun with a tune, but quite limited to other power upgrades, it is a Peugeot engine, so plenty of fresh oil and filters, just to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
My ten'peneth! The purists wont like as its a diesel lol but aside from the engine it's the same car as the petrol (cosmetically, the rev counter is the only difference!) - Same shell, suspension, brakes, gearbox, interior spec levels... but a little less power 250bhp in the petrol, 185bhp in the diesel - torques is 340nm in the petrol, 420nm in the diesel. The torque takes longer to come in for the diesel (a bit laggy!), but its a bigger punch!

I've had mine for just over 2 years now, been some highs and LOWS (caused by another motorist!), that aside it's been mega, they're a great car, punchy, handle well, look the part and cheap on road tax/good on fuel.

I maybe a bit biased as i've not owned anything but fords, but the way these cars (ST's in general) make you feel with the seats, steering, suspension and the way the power comes in are just priceless.. feelgood cars that are worth their weight in gold!!

Power wise, a stage 1 map will easily take the car to around 215bhp, Pumaspeeds 1R to a claimed 238bhp, this map has some rave reviews... though the negative part of me is concerned about clutch, flywheel and driveshafts lol.. if I were mapping mine it'd be Collins CP1, but there's loads of people on here better educated than me!

·
Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,074 Posts
I think Pumaspeed MAXD maps are good I got their 400 1R on the RS and tried a few before it and its by far the best.
If everything on the diesel is the same it should be good for 250bhp Gaz so take the plunge 😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Pumaspeed stage 1R tune on my ST3 diesel and quiet happy with it performance. There’s not much low down but over 2k rpm it takes off. Torque steers like a ***** but that seems to have improved since fitting 19s with new tyres. On a motorway run I get 55-60 mpg so happy all round

1 - 5 of 5 Posts