Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I've had my TD 1.2 wheels fitted pretty much since JWR had the group buy on them a while ago
. However since having the wheels I occasionally notice that the brakes appear to cool down a lot faster than when the standard rims were fitted. So sometimes get a bit of a shock when I haven't used them for a while, and go to apply them and it's almost as if the brakes are stone cold and need to be warmed slightly, then they start working properly. It's only a brief moment when you think
to yourself.

Is this because the alloy used in the TD 1.2 wheels is a better thermal conductor than the standard alloys. Or more air can get to the brakes to increase cooling? Or am I just imagining it?

Also I've noticed that when it's raining and the roads are wet/puddley the brakes appear to be affected a lot more by the splashes than when the standard rims were fitted, I only mean shallow puddles, not anywhere near floods. I tell myself that this one is just because the brakes are more exposed, due to less protection from thinners spokes than on the standard 5 spoke ST rims.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on these two characteristics or is it just me trying to justify spending some money on some K-Sports?

P.S. car is 2009, just over 32k road miles. Wouldn't consider myself to be a heavy braker, although has increased slightly since I fitted the MR290 package

·
Formerly Known As Shep4785
1,421 Posts
Standard ford brakes/pads which have been on since new so covered 32k miles, of what I would say is a fairly easy life! May have always happened but think I'm trying to convince myself to buy some bigger brakes!
Have you checked to see how worn your pads are? I had new brakes at 22.5k so 32k seems like they might need changing.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked them when i first thought something was wrong and the pads didn't look too worn!?

I reckon it could all be in my head and I'm just trying to convince myself to buy some bigger brakes!

·
1,421 Posts
I've been convincing myself for a year and still can't do it
but its mainly because I don't want to run spacers which leaves the Tarox 10 pots which are 2.2k! Looked at Wortec ones but can find much info on them.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've been convincing myself for a year and still can't do it
but its mainly because I don't want to run spacers which leaves the Tarox 10 pots which are 2.2k! Looked at Wortec ones but can find much info on them.
I thought you only had to run spacers on the Standard ST wheels? i might be wrong but i'm sure aftermarket wheels fit without spacers, must be the fat spokes on the standard Y rims

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I thought you only had to run spacers on the Standard ST wheels? i might be wrong but i'm sure aftermarket wheels fit without spacers, must be the fat spokes on the standard Y rims
Shep hasn't specified what wheels he has, although the facelifts standard wheels have more clearance than the pre facelift ones, so you can get away with a smaller spacer if I didn't get confused by a thread i saw a week or two ago!?

·
1,421 Posts
Depends what offset of aftermarket wheels you run. I want to keep the standard wheels though.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pre-facelift standard wheels are in my opinion horrible, can't wait to get some TD 1.2's
A few weeks after I got mine I went to a meet and out of the 9 STs' there 7 had standard wheels 1 RS wheels and me with my 1.2s, and I preferred the ST rims out of the lot, but mine did have FL wheels.

·
Registered
800 Posts
A few weeks after I got mine I went to a meet and out of the 9 STs' there 7 had standard wheels 1 RS wheels and me with my 1.2s, and I preferred the ST rims out of the lot, but mine did have FL wheels.
Also depends what you after, i'm more focused on trackdays next year so 1.2's will suit me better, and as far as im aware i won't need to spacer the wheels for Ksports

·
1,421 Posts
Also depends what you after, i'm more focused on trackdays next year so 1.2's will suit me better, and as far as im aware i won't need to spacer the wheels for Ksports
I'm not sure of the offset you need to house the K Sports, ET35 springs to mind but could be wrong.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Its not usually the diameter of the discs you need to worry about! Its the width of the calipers that will dictate if you need spacers! The K Sport discs are 356mm and fit easily under standard wheels but the edge of the caliper fouls the spokes by nearly 20mm on prefacelift wheels! Most aftermarket wheels with an offset of 45 or less will clear them though! Both out TDs and the Lensos have bags of clearance!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts