Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I upgraded my ST from Sync 2 to Sync 3 last weekend, I'm so pleased with it! My notes would be;

Good
  • Much quicker to respond
  • Looks nicer and more modern
  • Easier to use whilst driving as the icons are larger
  • Sync 3 Nav is leaps ahead of Sync 2
  • Apple CarPlay is brilliant, Siri is so quick to respond and take action. Reading and replying to messages is really easy. Maps is easy to follow too.
Bad
  • You can't seem to use Sync Nav if you have Apple CarPlay enabled, it defaults to Apple Maps instead
  • I'm not keen on the standard background it reminds me of Windows 95 so I've switched the dark mode.
  • When the auto brightness is turned on it makes Apple CarPlay flicker when it changes, I am hoping an update might fix it.

After lots of research, using the threads and video below, I went for;
  • 2nd hand Sync 3 unit from eBay which was £480
  • 4d tech adapter (2b) used Shipito to get it to the UK £60
  • USB Hub for Ford (Part Number 2026703) £80
  • Fakra GPS Antenna eBay £9
You can get Ford do to it (@alienp1mp actually pushed Ford to provide this option and they used his Focus RS to test the process) which costs around £1600 (TSB 17-1009). You can also buy the parts new from Ford but I'm not aware of anyone who has done it as there is talk that the unit would need to be programmed with a licence.

I used the following guides / videos to do it:I had three issues;
  • The USB connector wires on the back of the USB Hub were quite tight and short. I think if I'd taken the armrest apart It would have been better, with lots of wiggling I managed to get them connected
  • I put the GPS antenna behind Sync 3 as shown in the video but I keep getting a navigation fault in some areas around where I live so I think I need to move it up higher
  • I had to use UCDS to activate the Reverse camera as the previous car that Sync 3 came from didn't have a reverse camera.Strangely in UCDS I had to use the APIM Config for Sync 2 to make it work which was a bit odd.
Apart from that it was pretty plain sailing. If anyone is thinking of going for, I would highly recommend it :)

Gear shift Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Car Steering part Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part Steering wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
you need to shop around,i did mine for £350 inc replacing the aerial and mast for the later ford version and brand new aerial leads :clap:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would anyone happen to have part numbers? I noticed that 4D Tech are doing units to ship but only for US and Canadian cars, I'm in the UK, so getting this done in the best way possible would be great but I would a list of part numbers including the wiring looms for the centre console.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction to getting what I need to do this?

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,699 Posts
Finally getting my SYNC3 system updated next week after it tried to update itself & got scrambled about 5 months ago!! Admittedly the pandemic hasn't helped but Ford Customer Care have been great. Initially my local Ford dealer wanted several hundred pounds to 'try' and fix it with it being just out of warranty. Dug my heels in & refused to pay & it is now being done as a courtesy offer.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Recently done this to mine too, makes the car so much nicer to be in, and the google commands works really well too.

Just need to figure out how to remove the reverse camera function from the system now!

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is well worth changing, makes it a much nicer place to be when on long drives.

I put the GPS on the underside of the dash as far back as I could get it, haven't had any issues with signal at all.

Sync 3 paired with the Qi cubby hole and the incoming AA Wireless connector the whole system will be how I want it, have also changed the speakers in mine all round to Fusion ones and added a under seat sub.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I've just done this to mine. Fairly simple to do if you get the right bits. I found a guy called Kev Gwenne on eBay who is selling these programmed to your car along with the adaptors needed. He was very good and messaged straight away to get the full spec and vin etc. I did make a mistake in using an aftermarket faker gps aerial. I ended up stripping it back out and fitting a genuine Ford gps antenna under the dash.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts