Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my CP Collins sunstrip fitted and for all its only a sunstrip, I love it! I noticed though that my wipers go over it and Im wondering will this do it any damage?

It was fitted by a professional using heat etc which he told me was the key to a good fit and its legal height etc but its just the wipers going over it which concerns me.

Anyone have any comments on this? Hopefully someone with a strip thats lasting ok even with the wipers touching it?

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
We have had sunstrips that are in the wiper area on both cars for a couple of years with no issues! You might get a fail or an advisory at the MOT though! They did try and fail the MR2 the first year but when i said just peel it off they passed it! If its a decent quality one the wipers shouldnt mark but if its a cheap E Bay one they might! As far as we can tell it hasnt affected the wipers either! If you got pulled i think they would give you the choice of tearing it off before giving you a ticket if indeed it is illegal rather than just an MOT thing?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I'm not sure, the MOT link, seems to imply either a 10mm, or 40mm overlap into zone A.

Properly applied, the wipers and vinyl wouldn't affect each other

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It's just an MOT thing, if it covers any of the area that the wipers touch then it's a fail, whether or not the police would actually stop you is a different matter because i would have thought that unless they saw you with your wipers on then they would be pulling you over out of interest?

I have a Collins one that i was going to fit myself but never got round to it, if i do decided to fit it at some point then i will be trimming the black sunstrip part of the kit a bit thinner before putting the Collins decal on to it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
You need to be careful, VOSA are cracking down on things like this now. If you get pulled in for a road side check they can put a prohibition notice on the car, I got one for some window tints a few years ago!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I recall on the Elise, I had one as there are not sun blinds, went to go for the MOT, they said it would fail due to the sun strip, I pointed out it was for a purpose as no sun blinds but will take it off if I must, they then told me it would fail due to no sun blinds, I left Charlie Browns and went somewhere else (only went there as usual place I used to use had a new jack and it would not fit under the car any more)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts