Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work this morning I noticed that I had no oil temp and the oil pressure gauge was reading max, I was 10 miles down the road so everything was warmed up, there was no problem with the car and everything else seemed fine. I stopped the car and checked under the bonnet and all seems ok, once I got going again the gauges were reading normal again.
has anyone had this proble, im thinking it was just a instrument problem ????

Thanks

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
On my way to work this morning I noticed that I had no oil temp and the oil pressure gauge was reading max, I was 10 miles down the road so everything was warmed up, there was no problem with the car and everything else seemed fine. I stopped the car and checked under the bonnet and all seems ok, once I got going again the gauges were reading normal again.
has anyone had this proble, im thinking it was just a instrument problem ????

Thanks
Its quite common and can just be a glitch! If it happens regularly though try cleaning and reseating the connector on the MAP sensor! If its accompanied by an ESP system fault it will most likely be a wheel speed sensor problem though!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
dont worry mate mines done this 3 times in about 1 1/2 years if it dont sort it self you can pull the kam fuse to reset it all :)

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Checking and cleaning the MAP connector would be mine as its free!
I leave the cleaning to the misses mate but as she's not allowed anywhere near the ST, so i'd have to buy a new one
....Seriously tho when it comes to the sensors I just replace them, according to DS the tend to deteriate overtime but saying that if cleaning them works for a few good months, then happy days.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I had a similar thing with my fuel gauge - going right off the scale when not even a full tank (seemed to clear when the outside temp warmed up). What I don't get is why the MAP sensor would cause oil temp/pressure gauge issues? Isn't the MAP to do with fuelling and air flow (bit like the MAF)?

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I had a similar thing with my fuel gauge - going right off the scale when not even a full tank (seemed to clear when the outside temp warmed up). What I don't get is why the MAP sensor would cause oil temp/pressure gauge issues? Isn't the MAP to do with fuelling and air flow (bit like the MAF)?
The whole system is hooked up together! When we melted a wheel speed sensor the oil temp gauge went off the scale and it locked out 5th and 6th gears!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Its not usually the sensor just the connector Geoff! There was a bunch of STs in mid 2007 that came from the factory with the MAP connectors loose! These all gave oil pressure and oil temp gauge readings that were weird too!

The whole system is hooked up together! When we melted a wheel speed sensor the oil temp gauge went off the scale and it locked out 5th and 6th gears!
Thanks fishy, I guess that's kind of inevitable with the bus type wiring these days (I'm still a bit old-skool thinking that each gauge is wired directly to a sensor!). Just out of interest, how does the gearbox lock out the top 2 gears? I've seen people mention this before but never quite understood how this was done? cheers....

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Thanks fishy, I guess that's kind of inevitable with the bus type wiring these days (I'm still a bit old-skool thinking that each gauge is wired directly to a sensor!). Just out of interest, how does the gearbox lock out the top 2 gears? I've seen people mention this before but never quite understood how this was done? cheers....
A solenoid I believe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, it probs is the Map sensor connection as I fitted a new intercooler a couple of weeks ago and maybe disturbed the connection, will check, mind you it was all ok on my way home tonight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts