Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, I've got an st-2 mountune 260.. I don't use the car every day, but when I start the engine from cold, you get a high pitched whiny noise coming from the engine. it disappears after a few minutes, presumably once the engine gets a bit warmer.

here's a video of the noise

anyone got any ideas what this could be?

cheers

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Yeah, belts and bearings, how many miles on it?

Mine sounded like that. I had my cam belt, accessory belts, cam and crank seals, idler and tensioner done. All good again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's 43,000 miles with a f/s/h .

Thanks for the info. How much to get all that done roughly ?

Wonder why it's doing that with such low miles as I'm sure ford say 100k for the belts ?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I'm in Australia so any pricing will not be valid for you whatsoever.

I also had my water pump replaced.

To me, I think your issue will more involve accessory belts, maybe a bearing is a bit dry too.

Mine was repaired at around 177,000 kilometers which is about 109K Miles. It was noisy quite a while beforehand.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi, had exactly the same noise on my car but started to stay there constantly when warm, only dissapeared when driving but came back when on idle. Mine was the alternator belt, i checked this by spraying a little bit of wd40 on the belt itself and it stopped the noise for about a day. I had bothe alternator and auxillery belt changed at my garage supplied and fitted for £65. Small easy job. Stopped the noise altogether. Deffinetly worth checking the alternator belt as they glaze on the inside causing them to slip. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mine does the same noise very occasionally. If the car has been sat for more then a day and theirs a lot of moisture in the air it does it. Goes away after about a minute.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have the exact same sound as that every morning, more so when its been raining, took to ford to have a look at and they just said they couldnt find anything wrong and dressed the belts to kinda make the noise go away. They then quoted my around 107 quid to get them changed...

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,585 Posts
Ditto, WD40 is the last thing you should use.
The belt requires friction to work so adding a lubricant isn't especially helpful.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
If its one of the aux belts thats squealing than change it, spraying WD40 will make it worst, infact change both of them and have the tensioners check too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts