Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and gals, newbie here! have had an annoying fault at start up in my 07 st2 it misfires for about 10 to 15 seconds, then runs fine, doesn't do it every time, anyone else had this fault, leaves no warnings on dash and my local ford dealer dont know!!!!!!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(tonyl829 @ 4 Jan 2010, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Guys and gals, newbie here! have had an annoying fault at start up in my 07 st2 it misfires for about 10 to 15 seconds, then runs fine, doesn't do it every time, anyone else had this fault, leaves no warnings on dash and my local ford dealer dont know!!!!!!

You had best check the coolant for signs of oil and the oil for signs of coolant im afraid! Sounds very much like the cracked liner problem! Best get it checked out in case it is! Other scenarios are knackered spark plugs or coil packs!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Does it mainly misfire when it's been left sitting for a few hours? Also check the coolant level, is it low or when the engine is stone cold and you open the header tank cap does air escape and the coolant level rise?

Maybe the plugs need looking at but if the coolant level is messing around it could be a sign of something worse

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 4 Jan 2010, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You had best check the coolant for signs of oil and the oil for signs of coolant im afraid! Sounds very much like the cracked liner problem! Best get it checked out in case it is! Other scenarios are knackered spark plugs or coil packs!

Its just had its second service at 15,000, they said no faults etc etc, i had previously checked water and oil with no apparant problems, so still confused lol

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hi and welcome to the club. If you are not happy with the service of the local Ford dealership then you won't go far wrong with any of the on-site sponsors on the site. Depending on where you live, there will be a firm fairly local to you (or someone who can recommemd a local independant garage if you post up your location) who will be more than happy to help. For what its worth, I have found Profile Automotive (sponsor as Code Red) in stockport to be more than up to the job.

You may wish to join up to get access to the technical forums which may provide an answer to your query. But, beware, once you sign up, you will also have access to a whole load of other forums here where you will want to start modifying (if you haven't already)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 4 Jan 2010, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does it mainly misfire when it's been left sitting for a few hours? Also check the coolant level, is it low or when the engine is stone cold and you open the header tank cap does air escape and the coolant level rise?

Maybe the plugs need looking at but if the coolant level is messing around it could be a sign of something worse

The miss fire can happen at any time, even when still warm ish, but mainly happens when its been left overnight

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Does it happen more when the fuel tank is near to empty? I had a misfire fault on a previous car and it was down to a knackered petrol pump. I gather that when the tank is fuller the pump has to work less hard and therefore was not a problem. It only manifested itself when the tank was nearly empty. Alternatively, it could be the coil packs - again - this caused same type of misfire problems on the said previous car.

All in, best to get it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing!

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem (and whatever it does end up being it doesn't break the bank!!).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(MST @ 4 Jan 2010, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does it happen more when the fuel tank is near to empty? I had a misfire fault on a previous car and it was down to a knackered petrol pump. I gather that when the tank is fuller the pump has to work less hard and therefore was not a problem. It only manifested itself when the tank was nearly empty. Alternatively, it could be the coil packs - again - this caused same type of misfire problems on the said previous car.

All in, best to get it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing!

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem (and whatever it does end up being it doesn't break the bank!!).
I'm trying to get it sorted before warrenty runs out
i'll try filling it with fuel and see if it helps, local dealer replaced a coil pack at service just before xmas but fault is still there, dealer finding at hard to find fault as "u guessed it" never happens when in the garage, maybe it just doesn't like being at home lol

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Had to have the other coil pack replaced within a couple of months of the first. Both diagnosed thanks to the 4th emergency service

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
If the misfire persists and you find the coolant level slowly dropping then go back to the dealer giving them an idea of how much coolant it has used over how many miles. They'll need evidence like that before they can explore into the engine further.

Hopefully you've not got a coolant issue and it will be a plug or coil pack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts