Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out and gave the car a good clean today... was quite upset to find loads of small stone chips have appeared on the bumper and lower bonnet from the grit over the last couple of months.

Looks like a proper touch up job via a professional I have used before.. ( £££ )

Will make sure she is sorted ready for show season...

Oh and I bought some Meguairs NXT polish for the exhausts....they did a good job, but not overly impressed to be honest... maybe I had high expectations!!

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
Those chips are a real pain, and even more so when you have a Black ST as the primer is white and the chip's show up big time

·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found two big un's... one on the lip of the bonnet (luckily it missed the chequers!!) and the other on the nearside headlight washer cover

Will get it sorted soon, but its frustrating... why can't they invent soft grit

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
storm can you take some photos of before and after for us as im looking to getting some chips done myself and as im local to yourself would probally use same company you do if turns out allright .
many thanks mate .

·
Registered
379 Posts
QUOTE(gray @ 24 Jan 2010, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>did you use the megs nxt metal polish? if not the best stuff is solvol autosol

+1 on the autosol, its better than all the rest.

I dont worry about stone chips anymore. there always gunna come back so no point spraying them!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Those chips are a nightmare. I had the same problem with mine and ended up having the front bumper bonnet and wings resprayed. Looks a lot better now. As for the polish I always use autosol its brilliant stuff.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
This car seems to be the worst ive ever had for stone chips. I have 4 big chips on the bonnet. Not to mention the lacquer coming off the bumper.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I am afraid we just have to get used to them
I have had a few on the bonnet which have been touched up but fingers crossed not too bad so far.

·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(ST tyrone @ 25 Jan 2010, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not to mention the lacquer coming off the bumper.

Had that on mine, took it back to the dealer and argued until they gave in and resprayed it for me

·
Registered
773 Posts
QUOTE(Storm @ 24 Jan 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... maybe I had high expectations!!

You always do

I'd heard the autosol can be very harsh which is why I talked him into going for the NXT one - probably my fault!!

·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(LawwaST @ 25 Jan 2010, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You always do

I'd heard the autosol can be very harsh which is why I talked him into going for the NXT one - probably my fault!!

Well... it wasn't "that" bad ... I just thought it would be better than it was!

Will try the Autosol next time and see how that goes

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
QUOTE(Storm @ 25 Jan 2010, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Had that on mine, took it back to the dealer and argued until they gave in and resprayed it for me

Thanks for that bit of advice last night, will let you know how I get on. If they dig in, I'll just threaten them with another visit from your good self

+1 on Autosol though

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've used autosol & the Autoglym variant on the tail pipes and they come up lovely

With regard to stone chips there is a thread on here somwhere about the paint shield potection - I think Fishy has had his ST done in this.....

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
My
is prone to stone chips too. I've owned lots of Fords before, but this is the worst ever for getting paintwork damage.

The paint is just so soft, a stone only has to look at it to cause damage. Sometimes I wish I'd bought a silver one, as the damage is less noticeable then.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've given up now. My ST has only done 19k miles and it is covered ALL OVER the front with stone chips, bonnet, bumper, valance, even the top of the windscreen has two huge chunks out.

It seems to get worse every day, so I'm just ignoring them now and not doing anything with them until I sell it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Think I picked up a couple from keeping up with Scott last night, fortunately they pinged off the windscreen - probably didn't hear the ones off the bonnet

1 - 20 of 32 Posts