Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,

I need a little advice.
My Grandad has been unfortunate enough to have his car nicked from outside his house. After discussing this at length with him on his whereabouts throughout the day, just to ensure he hadnt left it somewhere and walked home etc, we realised someone has stolen his spare key from the house.
Now, he had a workman in last week, so naturally he is the first person we have thought could have took it, but that's by the by and my Grandad will explain all that when the police come to his house tomorrow.

My question is that if someone comes in to your house and steals your spare key, then subsequently your car, will insurance still pay out?
Will it have to go through house insurance as the key was originally stolen from the house or would it be the car insurance that would deal with it? The problem is that my Grandad reported it to insurance before realising his spare key had been stolen. When he spoke to insurance he told them that he had both sets of keys (He actually looked in his cupboard and thought he had seen them, but clearly he hadnt!!!)

Any advice you good people could give me will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It might be worth speaking to the car insurance company again, and explain in full what has happened. To verify it get the crime number off the Police when its reported and use this to assist your claim. Your house insurance wont pay for a stolen car - it should say that in your policy booklet.

This is a very common thing these days, keys getting stolen from houses to steal cars. At the end of the day, the insurance company should still honour the claim as you can clearly evidence the events. I dont think it will be the first time someone has amended/updated the details of thier claim. If all fails you can still use the insurance ombudsman service to fight your claim, or use an independat solicitor.

Good luck anyway.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Should not be a problem I assume the keys were in a kitchen draw and not checked on eveyr often etc. It may be the locks werre picked and someone else has been in and helped themselves to the keys and come back later and knicked the car, this is getting common (happened to a freind the other week).

Whoever got hold of the keys and nicked the car, they did not have your authority to do so and as long as you have not been negligent wiht your keys then you shoudl be fine but be aware the insurer may not deal/do anything for several weeks incase the car turns up

·
Registered
168 Posts
bit late for this, but we had this happen a few months ago (birds vrs was stolen)

Its treated as a burglery + car theft by police and the insurance pay out as they normally would, no questions.

The only shock to us was car contents arent really covered by house or car insurance. 100 quid max on car cover and only glove box contents for house insurance

J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.