Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I've notice something happening in that last couple of days and wanted to ask about it as i'm not that techy with cars. Got a 09 plarte facelift with a standard clutch. the clutch works normally but if a finish a journey turn eginer off etc etc then use the car again within 20 minutes the clutch is noticably harder to use. and it stays thay way for the journey, is doesn't losen up, or anything. for example drove from work to pickup boy from nursery, trip was about 15 miles, clutch fine. went into nursery picked himup, spoke to staff etc etc cam out 10 minutes later to a harder clutch.

Again last night got home from work, clutch fine, the missu used the car to goto the shops, then went out 20 mins later to watch batman (very good! :p) and on the trip the the cinema the clutch was stiff, but came out of cinema 3 hours later and the clutch was fine again.

Its still usable but it is definately harder to press.

As anyone seen this before, or knows what it could be? i'm guessing the clutch is hydrolic, and that would tend to indicate some kind of fluid issue, but if the car sits and cools down its fine.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
It's difficult to say as it could really be any number of things but trying to eliminate the simple things first my first port of call would be to make sure the clutch is bled properly.

It is a shared system that the brakes and clutch use although the operation of each of them is independant.

It could suggest that you have moisture in the system as once the moisture gets hot it boils and becomes a compressable gas (obviously liquid isn't) so then it creates a harder pedal until it cools down and the gas becomes a liquid again.

Or it could suggest that the slave or master cylinder is playing up which is obviously a bigger job

I am sure there could be a few other causes too such as the pressure plate but i would definitely want to bleed the clutch first before looking at anything else.

· Registered
11,957 Posts
If I've been driving on the motorway for a while, and obviously off of the clutch, if I come off at at junction, then when I next use the clutch it feels heavier.

So in answer to your question, yes.....

How easy is it to bleed the clutch on facelifts? i can do general service stuff but that might be out my league! lol
Very easy.
If I can do it, you can do it!
http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/106024-clutch-bleed-nipple/page__hl__%2Bclutch+%2Bnipple__fromsearch__1

· Registered
14,326 Posts
If I've been driving on the motorway for a while, and obviously off of the clutch, if I come off at at junction, then when I next use the clutch it feels heavier.

So in answer to your question, yes.....
Yep, noticed this. Wasn't sure if it was just my foot being lazy not having used it for the past x amount of miles, or if the clutch actually did get stiffer for a few changes.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, noticed this. Wasn't sure if it was just my foot being lazy not having used it for the past x amount of miles, or if the clutch actually did get stiffer for a few changes.
mine doesn't get lighter again though, it just gets stiffer, i'm gunna take it for a long drive to see if it gets stiffer and stiffer

· Registered
14,326 Posts
mine doesn't get lighter again though, it just gets stiffer, i'm gunna take it for a long drive to see if it gets stiffer and stiffer
I honestly can't remember if it gets any lighter, or my foot just gets used to it.

The left foot is a weird thing, try accelerating with it
Same as trying to press the clutch in with your right foot, feels really weird!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.