Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this the odd time when I first start the car... but after a couple of secconds it starts working and the warning goes off.
BUT I've had this twice today and both times its taken around 30 sec's to a min to start working which its never done before.

Both times the car had been sat for a few hours, I stopped and started it and it was fine as you'd expect. Not sure if its lack of fluid? I've had a quick look in the res and it looks ok but i'll check in the morning when I can see a thing!

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
best to get a diognostics check make sure all is ok. dont want things to go
up when your driving...

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
QUOTE(gray @ 2 Feb 2010, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>best to get a diognostics check make sure all is ok. dont want things to go
up when your driving...

Agreed as I had my car dump all the fluid just as I pulled out of a parking space and trying to turn the wheel felt like the steering lock was on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
QUOTE(bing_17 @ 2 Feb 2010, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've had this the odd time when I first start the car... but after a couple of secconds it starts working and the warning goes off.
BUT I've had this twice today and both times its taken around 30 sec's to a min to start working which its never done before.

Both times the car had been sat for a few hours, I stopped and started it and it was fine as you'd expect. Not sure if its lack of fluid? I've had a quick look in the res and it looks ok but i'll check in the morning when I can see a thing!

Any ideas guys?

i had this today coz my battery was low

what a pig to drive without the power steering

·
Vendor
2,676 Posts
QUOTE(bing_17 @ 2 Feb 2010, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've had this the odd time when I first start the car... but after a couple of secconds it starts working and the warning goes off.

Any ideas guys?

Hi Chris - I suspect that your battery is down on power. The Power managament system on the ST shuts the steering off until the voltage has built up again.

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(wolfman @ 3 Feb 2010, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Chris - I suspect that your battery is down on power. The Power managament system on the ST shuts the steering off until the voltage has built up again.

Battery: "oooh, I'm weak, help me!!"
ECU: "Have no fear, I shall enter my predetermined power management cycle!"
Battery: "Oh thank you Mr ECU, you're so brave. What would we do without you?"
ECU: "All in a day's work ma'am. Right, let's ditch all the non-essential systems. Steering - nope, don't need that. Steering, you are hereby commanded to turn off."
Steering: "Um.......are you sure?"
ECU: "Of course I am sure, I am the ECU - I am in charge of EVERYTHING".
Steering: "Well, it's just that I was having a chat with the wheels a moment ago, and they were saying that we're currently doing 70 miles an......."
ECU: "Be quiet please!! I am the ECU!! I don't know how many times I have to tell you, I AM IN CHARGE. TURN OFF IMMEDIATELY."
Steering: "You're sure?"
ECU: "Yes. It isn't a request."
Steering: "Right - so you're taking responsibility, yes?"
ECU: "Naturally. I am omnipotent. Turn off NOW!!".
Steering: "OK. You're the boss. Turning off now."
ECU: "Oh."
ABS: "AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH........."

·
Captain Slow
16,287 Posts
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 3 Feb 2010, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Battery: "oooh, I'm weak, help me!!"
ECU: "Have no fear, I shall enter my predetermined power management cycle!"
Battery: "Oh thank you Mr ECU, you're so brave. What would we do without you?"
ECU: "All in a day's work ma'am. Right, let's ditch all the non-essential systems. Steering - nope, don't need that. Steering, you are hereby commanded to turn off."
Steering: "Um.......are you sure?"
ECU: "Of course I am sure, I am the ECU - I am in charge of EVERYTHING".
Steering: "Well, it's just that I was having a chat with the wheels a moment ago, and they were saying that we're currently doing 70 miles an......."
ECU: "Be quiet please!! I am the ECU!! I don't know how many times I have to tell you, I AM IN CHARGE. TURN OFF IMMEDIATELY."
Steering: "You're sure?"
ECU: "Yes. It isn't a request."
Steering: "Right - so you're taking responsibility, yes?"
ECU: "Naturally. I am omnipotent. Turn off NOW!!".
Steering: "OK. You're the boss. Turning off now."
ECU: "Oh."
ABS: "AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH........."

well said that man

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help guys... Come to think of it I have noticed its been sounding a bit sluggish cranking over lately (I even charged it last week) New battery time me thinks.... Where the best place to get one?

·
Vendor
2,676 Posts
Might be worth checking the output of the alternator - they have a habit of deteriorating over a period of time (without brining the warning light on)

It should charge at between 13.5-14 volts when running at idle with no load and only drop to 12.5v at idle with everthing switched on

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(wolfman @ 4 Feb 2010, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Might be worth checking the output of the alternator - they have a habit of deteriorating over a period of time (without brining the warning light on)

It should charge at between 13.5-14 volts when running at idle with no load and only drop to 12.5v at idle with everthing switched on

Hi Gary, I metered it up the first day it happened, I found...

First thing in the morning before trying to start the battery is holding bang on 12v... which im told by my trode at work is too low.. should be around 12.6v. When starting and its under load its drops to around 10v and then straight up to a healthy 14.6v as soon as the engine starts and the alternators charging. So im hoping the alternator is ok.. I'll get a new battery i think and fingers crossed its that.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, new battery fitted and its still the same! Where do I look next guys? :/ I'm also after some electrical diagrams for my leccy mate at work to have a flick through as hes pretty good with auto electrics.. And ideas where I can get hold of some?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(wolfman @ 9 Feb 2010, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Chris

You need to check all the earth points next

I'll give them a look over now Gary... Off the top of my head theres one near the top suspension strut straight off the battery.. And I think x3 more down behind where the pas side headlight is. Anymore I need to check mate?
(You'll have a PM later as im measuring up for what size stickers I need too
)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts