Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
basically i am trying to gauge interest and if it would actually work. i am looking at starting a supercar hire business, First of all i would start off with 2 Focus rs's for rent and then expand by buying supercars. if you could help me by completing the poll as if none of you would want to rent one no one will. thanks guys in advance.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If I did not have my ST yes, I would pay that to rent one out for the day and have a play.

Or, if I was thinking about getting an RS I would probably consider Hiring an RS for a day as opposed to test driving one. Before I had my ST if someone said I could have hired one for a day for £100 I would deffo have considered it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
I voted no simply because I wouldn't want to hire an RS, I might consider another car. It would also depend what that £100 would cover, as Alex has asked. £100 is in line with what someone like Enterprise (cheapest hire company I have used, especially over a weekend) would charge for a 3 series BMW so it seems reasonable enough as long as it covers insurance (with a suitable excess) and break down cover.

·
Registered
89 Posts
1 day of driving pleasure of either a mp350 rs or a standard rs, mileage would be around the industry standard a day (still to be finalized) and a charge of £1 per extra mile as well as insurance.

im afraid i cant be too specific as this is day one of market research.

·
Formerly Azionamento
2,760 Posts
Can you really make a decent profit @ £100/day including insurance?

I think the other problem would be the type of car and the relative cheapness would mean you might attract the wrong sort of customer...I'd give it less than 4 weeks before the RS ended up a tree.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
What is the 'industry standard a day' for milage?

I voted no. If I was to hire a car for a little fun it would need to be something a little more exotic then a FWD hot hatch.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I voted yes but I would give the car a hard time like most for your customers would lol. I would say a lot of people will crash it on you

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
Thinking about numbers, if one car at £100 was out 7 days a week, 365 days a year it's going to make you £36.5K.

But that'll never happen as there will be days were the car is off the road for servicing, repairs, cleaning and days when it's not been booked.

Then add in your costs, insurance (and I should imagine you would need some hefty public liability too), servicing, loans to buy the cars? , rent and other business charges etc. I should think you really wouldn't be left with much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sssshhhh dont put him off I WANT TO HIRE ONE

Seriously though i dont know how it would work but yes i would definately hire one as i cant see me ever being able to afford to own one yet i would love to try one.

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
You'd probably want some kind of GPS tracking of the cars too.

I'd hire one for the day at £100 and then rag it round a track on an open pit lane day!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I would rent one yes ... BUT, as everyone said itd be for a play etc, and some people will take it to far and wrap it round a tree etc, and i cant see there being much profit for £100 a day or anywere near that figure to be honest with you

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I know a couple of people who do this - £100 a day is way too cheap, you will find that the cars get totally ragged and go through tyres (and worse) in no time at all. Going rate for a Gallardo (I know it's a bit more than an RS...) is around £600 a day and that doesn't include insurance! The problem with day-hire is that people only want it to drive it flat out all day (or even worse, track it). The people I know go for longer term, lower rates (lower than £600 that is), but they only buy cars that are, shall we say....not the best to start with as they know they will be abused. It's a sound business idea in a way, but you will have to be very wary of the people you rent them to. And, if you do think you can make money at £100 a day, then I vote 'yes'!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts