Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be worth putting stand alone mangment on the st like dta

or is it just easyer getting it mapped because i wnt get much more gain with the stand alone

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
You could but it might reap a whole load of problems with the rest of the cars systems! If it was for track use only it would be easier but for road use you need to keep everything working for the MOT! Not sure if you could run a piggyback system to just run the engine though?

·
Formerly Known As Shep4785
1,421 Posts
You could but it might reap a whole load of problems with the rest of the cars systems! If it was for track use only it would be easier but for road use you need to keep everything working for the MOT! Not sure if you could run a piggyback system to just run the engine though?
What benefit would you see from running a piggyback system on the ST (if it was possible)?

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
What benefit would you see from running a piggyback system on the ST (if it was possible)?
Probably not a lot a lot to be honest! You could then map it yourself or get somebody else to do it far more easily! I think you would run into problems with stuff like the VVT? Im sure somebody will do it at some point though! Im a bit out of touch with aftermarket ECUs but i dont remember hearing much about them being able to handle stuff like VVT? For older cars they are brilliant but they didnt have to run the rest of the car!

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
There is alot of kit out in the market. Even stuff that does vvt. But the problem is finding someone that knows how to program it.

If you were going for a fully fledged track day car, you would be better off ripping the entire loom out and starting again incorporating the standard alone management.

Piggy back systems exist but are not too common and can cause problems when the two systems try to communicate.

Honestly. Phone the tuners. They'll help you spend some money.
Plus there's many generic maps available which would suit your needs.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wat the generall price in the way of a jam sport map wile im there mite aswell get a forge actuator fitted and set up and a decent recirulating valve i surpose damm i haven even repaired the bloody thing and my shoping list has got bigger

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
wat the generall price in the way of a jam sport map wile im there mite aswell get a forge actuator fitted and set up and a decent recirulating valve i surpose damm i haven even repaired the bloody thing and my shoping list has got bigger
Remapping is about £350 on average at most places

Setting up an actuator about £100 + purchase cost

Recirc valve fitting about £40 - £60 + purchase cost

However best to call about and get some prices

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I reckon a standalone ECU would take away too many self preservation features for the ST, and as Andy posted, not run the whole car. The standard Bosch ECU is quite a sophisticated bit of kit and only the last two years have we seen maps made for it that do it justice. No need to replace it, just need a map that runs your hardware combo properly, or a custom tuner who knows and understands how to reprogram it well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts