Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i may be going to look at an orange st on saturday with the intention of pxing my car for it, but today got my dad to check it hpi etc all clear but he got a mate to check on the ford computerss n its come back as having the 260 power upgrade, its an early 06 plate one, he said something about it may have an uprated intercooler? what does this pack consist of?

also ive tried to insure the st with the intercooler with ADMIRAL but they wont insure it, how hard would it be to either put the car back to standard and what would it involve or could i run the upgrade without the intercooler and what difference would it make?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
QUOTE(gizm0 @ 26 Nov 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i may be going to look at an orange st on saturday with the intention of pxing my car for it, but today got my dad to check it hpi etc all clear but he got a mate to check on the ford computerss n its come back as having the 260 power upgrade, its an early 06 plate one, he said something about it may have an uprated intercooler? what does this pack consist of?

also ive tried to insure the st with the intercooler with ADMIRAL but they wont insure it, how hard would it be to either put the car back to standard and what would it involve or could i run the upgrade without the intercooler and what difference would it make?

thanks in advance

Once the Mountune upgrade package has been put on the car it cannot be removed in the eyes of the insurance companies. The car will always show as a ST260.

It consisits of a larger intercooler, an ecu remap and a K&N panel filter.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive typed in the reg though and it hasn't said anything about it then? would it make any difference without the ic though? obv wouldn't be 260 but what would it differ to haveing it?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how is it though if i put all the standard parts back on?lol

anyone know what the difference would be without the IC?

just read the other recent thread about someone having trouble with admiral and the 260 upgrade, anyone know what the extra cost was roughly to add the kit?

cheers

·
Registered
293 Posts
I know it's a little different, but when I first got my Focus ST, my insurance company automatically assumed it was an MT260. After two months I got round to reviewing my insurance schedule, called them right away and they changed it back to a standard 225.

(With a £50ish return premium)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so surely if i insure it as a standard 225 and replace it back to standard then there shouldn't be a problem? the dealer hasn't mentioned it having the 260 upgrade its just what my dad found out it may have been put back to standard but i wouldn't know how to tell 2bh

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Please listen to what you're being told.

It will be on the DVLA systems as a ST260, it will be on the V5 as a ST260.... If you don't want a 260 - you need to find another car.

Please research the mountune upgrade.

- Other types of mods are removable - dreamscience / code red / blue fin.... not the Mountune upgrade.

·
Registered
222 Posts
QUOTE(gizm0 @ 26 Nov 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so surely if i insure it as a standard 225 and replace it back to standard then there shouldn't be a problem? the dealer hasn't mentioned it having the 260 upgrade its just what my dad found out it may have been put back to standard but i wouldn't know how to tell 2bh
Admiral will insure if you say it's a focus st260

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi, when I orginally bought my
in august and I went to insure it my insurance company said when I gave them the reg, ah yes you have a Focus 260, to which I replied NO! Oh is it standard then to which I replied yes. Ok sir there will be no change to your premium, as the car I had before was the same group.
Since then I fitted a panel filter and I'm running the Dsci remap and have sourced insurance via the forum at an increase of only £80 for the year!

I feel that if you don't get an alert operative on the phone when you ring up, if your not careful they wrongly assume that your car is a 260.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
As others have said once an ST260 it can not be returned to Standard 225 spec.

But mistakes have happened already where people have gave a reg number to an insurance company or entered into a comparison website and the car has been wrongly recognised as an ST260 when it was actually a standard car...I know as it happened to me more than once prior to getting the upgrade done.

It is easily checked though as Mountune and DVLA having details of all registrations and chassis numbers of the 260 upgraded cars.

DVLA keep a record,but do not issue you with a new V5

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok cheers i am listening to what im being told but i just think its stupid lol, when my dad done all the other checks it come up as a 225 though....it only came up as 260 with ford.

i rang brentacre and they said my insurance quote from admiral is too low lol im only 20 and admiral want around 1700 and brentacre want over 2500 lol is it worth ringing them up and seeing if they will match the price because their policies allow for any mods i was told

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you're twenty years old I'd buy a standard car and then six months or a year down the line get a remap/mountune kit. Two advantages to this, firstly you can get used to the car and this lessens the chance of it ending up in a ditch (it's not that slow in standard form!), secondly you will have another years no claims that will bring your insurance costs down.

Alternatively, if you have your heart set on this car, get a quote from Bell. You may have to push up the voluntary excess, but they should be able to beat most, if not all other quotes.

And take it easy in the new car - ST at twenty, you are a lucky man!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have recently managed to insure my ST260 with elephant, but only after quoting the ABI reference number as otherwise they won't cover the intercooler. Facelifts however are easier (and cheaper I've found) to insure with the mountune 260 conversion than pre-facelift ST's. You just have to make sure they check it up on the ABI database if they won't listen.

As for price I am 24, licence 6 1/2 years, 4 years no claims and my premium came to about £600 with elephant and the mountune made no difference.

However if you insure the mods separately (excluding intercooler) it attracted about £130 extra.

I believe elephant/admiral/bell are the best insurers for younger drivers, in terms of price anyway. So I'd recommend them. next year however I may give Chris Knott etc another go.

An
at 20...I wish, though I doubt I'd have seen my 21st birthday

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i understand that how sensible ive got to be with it, but since i can afford to get one then why not ay! the main reason why i want this car is because its the only one ive seen for sale local to me, at the right price with the right stuff on it i want. the 260 upgrade is something ive found out about it having recently.

my insurance runs out on my old car next tuesday so i want to get a new car before then as i cant do without a car. plus the dealer is giving me a good price on p/x for my old car

dont know what to do lol!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Like you say if you can afford one why not! As long as you take into account the fuel,tax,insurance,tyres etc etc and it's not going to break you over the how ever many years you're paying for it

I've heard nothing but praise for these things and I may have had mine for just under 2 weeks but I can see I'll never tire of it. Especially coming from the ST170, which I still loved when I sold it, I know I'm on to a winner

I got mine now while I can before I get older and the inevitable happens...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah not paying for it for very long atall! no finance involved 2bh. so should be able to afford it no problem. i just dont know what to do about this car as i need on v soon and im struggling to sell my old car

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Well if the dealer's offered you a good p/x you could just take that option, I managed to shift mine a day after it went on Autotrader for a good price but I think I was quite lucky in this climate!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts