Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading about all the problems with STs is making me think it's a matter of time before i have some expense andas usual after a couple of months with a car i get bored.
I'm looking at the Seat leon TFSi with the BTCC kit and i think they look great exterior wise (crappt centre console) and i guess the engine can be remapped to my Dreamscience level?
Fuel wise the Seat would be better, being German it should be better built? and they don't have as many problems with OFH/ driveshafts/ alternators/ etc

Has anyone had the Leon before the ST and regretted swapping or test driven 1 and have any input?

The ST is a good car and with the mods is quick enough but future problems (all expensive) and rattles are really putting me off

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Seat would be no better than the ST. I Have driven the new Leon Cupra R and it was really good to drive, Seats have come on alot since being bought over, but its not a ST beater in terms of fun and character.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
As has been said ALL cars have there problems ,i doubt youl find one vehicle that dosent have a "known fault".
im quite happy with my ST ,which has been a good car realy ,only problem ive had was the ABS module which i replaced for £60:00 so not realy an issue to me !
my car dosent have rattles either ,maybe im just one of the lucky ones a !

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sold my 56 plate ST2 after an engine issue. Got a new(59) Leon FR TDCi170, got to say build wise and drive wise is far better than the Focus. Obviously not as quick, but not slow by any means. Averaging 41mpg. Do miss the heated screen though and the heater takes ages to get warm. Bluetooth is better than the focus. Would def have another ST in the future but at the moment am very happy with the Leon.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i,ve just sold my leon . 07 plate with 19,000 miles
problems were freezing on inside of screen . rattles all over .wet passenger and drivers window when it rains on the inside .cd sticks and radio are sh**.

i had a new screen fitted at 16000 miles as it was de lamminating . also problems with the heater burning through cables . these are all common faults so choose carefully.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can't compare direct with the ST as we still haven't ocllected it yet but I have had a TDI FR for 15 months now as a compay car. I do like the Leon and its a great car to drive but when looking for a new car for the wife I didn't bother looking at Seat's for several reasons.

The ride is very harsh IMO, feels over sprung unless you are on it all the time and road noise is high, especially on motorway cruising.

Engine is very nice but I feel its a bit over torquey at the bottom and when pulling hardout of corners the ESP system is way too intrusive and will almost cut the engine completely, it drives so much better with it off.

Interior feels cheap compared to the Ford, very pastic, lots of rattles and the stereo is pretty

So far have had issues with these sensors, ABS, Diesel filtration, emmissions, ESP, Brake failure and another one I can't remember. Two replaced under warranty but after the first one was replaced in a few weeks another three appeared for no reason.

The good bits

Looks great IMO and I get 40 plus average mpg out of it which for work is a bonus.

Seats are very comfortable, never had any back issues with them (I do suffer a bit).

It really is fun to drive but wouldn't hand over my hard earned cash for one.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,446 Posts
i fixed all the rattles in my
mate, no probs. just turned my radio on
seriously though changing your
because you think it may hav problems is like not crossing the road in case you get knocked down
All cars have their faults, my lexus rattled as much as my
and had central locking issues. my golf ate front drop links and rattled. my bmw had major turbo problems and rattled!! imho just enjoy your
and cross each bridge as you come to it. seat are bound to hav some problems too, and is sure to rattle as the dash looks pretty nasty. merry christmas.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
QUOTE(Luton-Reza @ 26 Dec 2009, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Swapping from an
to a Seat Leon!! No way Pedro, they should be coming to us not us to them.Amen to that!

My brother-in-law used to have a leon cupra and had no end of trouble with it, he went from that to a mazda 3 (maybe he's getting old!) but he had a shot of my
a few months back and was absolutely gobsmacked. I never got to drive the leon but was a passenger many a time and the amount of sqeaks and rattles were something else, always keep the radio on to hide it!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i was going to look at the Leon today but last night i read several posts on other forums where owners had their cars catching fire (1 guy had 3 cars go the same way) - apparently the coilpacks can cause a fire?

kinda put me off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts