Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question as I am looking to get a top crossover pipe but I am running an RS airbox. I presume the two airboxes are the same except for the lids so any crossover pipe that fits to an ST airbox will also fit to an RS one? A couple of tuners I have contacted have not been sure so I thought I would ask the guys that will know!!!

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks guys. I thought as much but the various tuners were making me second guess myself!!

:1a:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
On the subject of RS airbox on an ST, an induction kit is on the list of things to do, but in the mean time I was gonna customise the ST box in an RS style is there much advantage to running an RS box on my ST?
Many thanks

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,415 Posts
A little more sound, I doubt theres much power difference, it does look better, especially with the top grill converted from RS to ST.

·
Premium Member
Mk3.5 MP/275
765 Posts
A little more sound, I doubt theres much power difference, it does look better, especially with the top grill converted from RS to ST.
Thats what I did with mine you get a lot more induction noise sounds really good :D

IMG_1021 (2).JPG IMG_1020 (2).JPG

IMG_1022 (2).JPG IMG_1474.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Yeah thats the same as mine, I didnt like the RS logo on my ST, didnt like the idea of an RS wannabe thing, thats ok but not for me.
Just to add, the grill is a perfect fit, really impressive.

·
Premium Member
Mk3.5 MP/275
765 Posts
Yeah thats the same as mine, I didnt like the RS logo on my ST, didnt like the idea of an RS wannabe thing, thats ok but not for me.
Just to add, the grill is a perfect fit, really impressive.
Yes was well pleased with the way it fitted ,got it from a guy on ebay but haven`t seen him on there for a while

may have stopped selling.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Only problem with modifying the original lid , is that it doesnt seal on the underside of the bonnet like the RS version, which is taller and helps to stop hot air from the engine being drawn in.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
If you fit a K&N filter with the open end and inner cone you don't need to hack a hole in your lid. The filter also comes with a bung so you don't have to run it with the end open.

·
Premium Member
Mk3.5 MP/275
765 Posts
Something I read may be of interest :)

As air temperature increases, the density of the air, and the amount of oxygen it holds decreases. This means that the turbocharger has to work harder, spin faster and compress more air to produce the same amount of boost it would at lower temperatures, so makes sense to lower inlet air temps by trying to prevent heat soak from the engine bay and getting a more efficient cool air flow to the filter housing.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Yes a pretty commonly known fact, the RS airbox still takes most of its air from the standard intake, the hole in the top is blocked off by sealing against the bonnet, the hole in the front is really only there for sound, but that draws its air from behind the head light, same with the open ended K&N.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oh, i know all of this,

for me its a simply way to increase a bit f noise from what sounds like a sewing machine. The filter was already in there, so zero cost mod, its no different to fitting any open cone on any car,

heat soak is what it is, not being funny, it was a toasty 7 degrees this morning

·
Premium Member
Mk3.5 MP/275
765 Posts
Your right Jake not so much of a problem this time of year,but does help on the hotter summer days :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
tbf though, on a stage one rd car, you'll see faff all difference in what ever you run, even if you had no feed what ever lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts