Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well guys i bought a towbar for my other car, a focus zetec and thought i would see if it is possible to fit it on my ST, I know some people would like a towbar for small trailer use and here is the results. I know the ST is not tested for use as a towing vehicle and would invalidate your warranty and insurance so i do not reccomend you fit one permanently, just wondered if it was possible, and it bolted straight on with no need to cut the bumper.
Trial fit of towbar.
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grille

Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel Motor vehicle Hood

Clearance between exhaust.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

This is all that is visible when detatched.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

[/size].

Attachments

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
OK, I get the fact that you wanted to do it, and the result is commendable, but as you say you would be driving around uninsured if you use it.

The ST is not approved/homogolated for towing, so doing so is illegal.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I agree that it looks pretty good and well done for giving it a go, i cant see why the ST is the only focus in the range to not be homologated for towing,

However its not so yes as already been said its technically illegal to use it.

That being said its illegal and it validates your insurance to run with a de cat and plenty people do that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that it looks pretty good and well done for giving it a go, i cant see why the ST is the only focus in the range to not be homologated for towing,

However its not so yes as already been said its technically illegal to use it.

That being said its illegal and it validates your insurance to run with a de cat and plenty people do that.
I agree, lots of people have a decat, so its really up to the individual how far you push your luck
It did look ok when the detachable part was removed but i saw sense and took it off.

Don't suppoose someone could move this to a better section?.

·
Former L&SE chef
458 Posts
This is interesting.
I could do with a Towbar on my ST3 to tow my 10ft trailer. (I do have a 10ft trailer)
A bright orange ST towing a trailer! That would be different.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have been considering fitting a towbar to my ST since I got it, but will probably wait till it is out of warranty. Problem I have at the moment is that I have to use the GF's 1.25 Fiesta to tow my trailers and it has about 3 ft/lb of torque.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Obviously you have no need to tow a trailer, my use of trailers goes back way past my days of ST ownership, and what I choose to with my cash and liberty is my business.
Correct, and if I did have the need to tow a trailer then I would not have bought an ST. If you wish to risk driving without valid insurance then correct me if I'm wrong but thats everyones business especially if you hit another car or worse

·
Registered
557 Posts
Correct, and if I did have the need to tow a trailer then I would not have bought an ST. If you wish to risk driving without valid insurance then correct me if I'm wrong but thats everyones business especially if you hit another car or worse
If and when I get fed up with towing with the Fiesta I will fit one to the ST. I also use a towing bracket mounted cycle rack, and correct me if I am wrong but the ST is not homolgated for towing, so the fitting of a towing bracket to use a cycle carrier is not illegal.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
If and when I get fed up with towing with the Fiesta I will fit one to the ST . I also use a towing bracket mounted cycle rack, and correct me if I am wrong but the ST is not homolgated for towing, so the fitting of a towing bracket to use a cycle carrier is not illegal.
Not sure on cycle brackets (you didnt say this before, you said trailer.
) but I would suspect that you would be ok doing this, however as posted multiple times, connect a trailer and you are immediately void of insurance. Dont do it, its not worth the hassle should something go wrong, either keep using the Fiesta or (& i hate to say it) trade in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cant believe its not able to tow! what a nightmare! Me and my girlfriend are getting a jetski this year and the ST would pull it no problem, now it looks like we'll have to rely on her shoebox sized mini cooper to lug it about. What a complete ball ache

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.