Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Got my first ST on order for March and wondering if I'll be able to fit a set of 4 Conti TS830P 225/55/17's on it as winter tyres as I'm using these on my current motor and plenty of tread left.

I gather ST tyres are 235/40/18 which gives a diameter of 645mm whereas the Contis have a diameter of 679 mm so, 34mm more to fit in wheel arch and would raise ride height by 17mm as well as putting speedo out a bit.

Just wondered:-
1. If anyone has fitted larger diameter tyres and when probs with room available starts or other factors.
2. If the ST's are OK in the snow and you don't need to bother with winter tyres.

Any info appreciated as living in Yorkshire it's good to be ready for tricky winter conditions and, at worst, I could sell the Contis on e-bay and get some 235/40/18 winters if necessary.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
You want a 225 45 17 tyre really, as the radius will be miles off otherwise.

I assume you'll be putting them on steel wheels?

·
Registered
352 Posts
You want a 225 45 17 tyre really, as the radius will be miles off otherwise.

I assume you'll be putting them on steel wheels?
Thanks Tiny - If I had to buy new (and stick as near as poss to existing radius - Tyre Size Calculator) I was thinking 215/50/17 or 215/55/16 or just buy 235/40/18 winters if really need them which I could use on the standard ST wheels.

So far, I've only found 16" steel wheels available for the ST - so for the 17"s I think I'd need to get alloys unless anyone has info on 17" steels.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I think 16's only just clear the standard front brake calipers if at all, standard size is 225/40/18's for ST wheels so I'm sure there is some play in that number so long as you haven't got the car dropped on it's bottom with coilovers

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think 16's only just clear the standard front brake calipers if at all, standard size is 225/40/18's for ST wheels so I'm sure there is some play in that number so long as you haven't got the car dropped on it's bottom with coilovers
Thanks Rob - You're right re the 16"s as I got dealers to fit 125/90/16 spacesaver to front just to make sure it would clear calipers before I ordered (didn't want situ as with my recent VXR where if I had front puncture I had to put good rear onto front and then spacesaver onto rear as it wouldn't clear front calipers!)

Fortunately, spacesaver "just cleared calipers" so bodes well for normal 16" steels.

All Mk3 ST's I've seen/test driven have had 235/40/18's + no mods to mine as yet!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got my first ST on order for March and wondering if I'll be able to fit a set of 4 Conti TS830P 225/55/17's on it as winter tyres as I'm using these on my current motor and plenty of tread left.

I gather ST tyres are 235/40/18 which gives a diameter of 645mm whereas the Contis have a diameter of 679 mm so, 34mm more to fit in wheel arch and would raise ride height by 17mm as well as putting speedo out a bit.

Just wondered:-
1. If anyone has fitted larger diameter tyres and when probs with room available starts or other factors.
2. If the ST's are OK in the snow and you don't need to bother with winter tyres.

Any info appreciated as living in Yorkshire it's good to be ready for tricky winter conditions and, at worst, I could sell the Contis on e-bay and get some 235/40/18 winters if necessary.
I looked at using the winter tyres off my 2010 ST3 (225/40/18) on my new 2012 ST3 (235/40/18), however, my insurers (IAM Surety) would not cover me unless the tyres were 'as per manufacturers specification'!

I bought a new set of the 235 size and flogged my old ones on Gumtree. Thankfully the rims were the same size so managed to keep them.

Being north of the border and doing a fair bit of mileage in the Highlands winter tyres have been a very worthwhile addition when the temp gets below 7 degrees. (At the risk of tempting fate) I haven't yet been caught out in the snow!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at using the winter tyres off my 2010 ST3 (225/40/18) on my new 2012 ST3 (235/40/18), however, my insurers (IAM Surety) would not cover me unless the tyres were 'as per manufacturers specification'!

I bought a new set of the 235 size and flogged my old ones on Gumtree. Thankfully the rims were the same size so managed to keep them.

Being north of the border and doing a fair bit of mileage in the Highlands winter tyres have been a very worthwhile addition when the temp gets below 7 degrees. (At the risk of tempting fate) I haven't yet been caught out in the snow!
Thanks brocher + like you I always let my insurers know when I put winters on and take them off (no extra fee). Usually, owner's manuals stipulate a smaller diameter for winter tyres (to allow for the possible adddition of snow chains I think) but, so far, my insurers (Esure) seem to have been a bit more lenient than yours and haven't stopped me using smaller rims with same overall diameter tyres as standard - which wasn't as per manufacturers specification.

Know what you mean about winter tyres being a worthwhile addition and, once you've had them, they're hard to do without!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts